Qualifications and Training
Qualifications of Staff Interpreters at UCLA
- Fluency in English and one or more foreign languages, both oral and written
- 2 years of experience as an interpreter
- 2 years of experience in a healthcare setting
- Strong medical vocabulary
- Thorough knowledge of the California Medical Interpreters Standards of Practice
- Associate or Bachelors Degree in any area related to science or human services
- High level of customer service and a positive approach
- Familiar with diversity of cultural/socio-economic backgrounds
- Good interpersonal skills
- Medical Interpreting training program
If a position becomes available and you meet the above requirements, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your resume has been reviewed and you meet the above criteria you will be contacted to come in for a preliminary test. NO WALK-IN APPOINTMENTS.
Steps to Follow
You will be scheduled for a preliminary testing session. The test consist of:
- Translation of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of the Medical Interpreting profession.
- Knowledge of general anatomy.
- Ability to do written translation.
- Consecutive and simultaneous interpretation.
- Further testing may be required.
The preliminary test is one of the requirements to be considered as a candidate for a Medical Interpreting position. A passing score on the test alone does not automatically qualify a candidate.
All your information and assessments are confidential and will be kept as such in our records. Tests are proprietary information and copies cannot be given to candidates.