As a teen or young adult, you have a lot happening in your life. There’s school, work, sports, activities, and of course, a bustling social life. Chances are fitting in doctors’ appointments isn’t the easiest thing to do -- finding a doctor that gets your changing needs and concerns, even harder. We get that!
At the UCLA Young Adult Health and Wellness Program, you’ll find evening and holiday appointment hours that fit your hectic schedule, easy access to specialists who understand that your needs are uniquely different from your parents and comprehensive physical and mental health care tailored specifically to people your age. And it’s all in one convenient location.
Young Adult Highlights Include:
- Appointments 365 days of the year: That’s right. If your only free day falls on a weekend, our healthcare providers are here for you. If you need urgent care on a holiday, just walk in or schedule an appointment to be seen that day.
- Extended evening hours: We’re open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekdays and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. during holidays and weekends.
- Same-day appointments: Did you wake up with a weird rash, stomach problems or a scratchy throat? Just call and we’ll get you in to see a healthcare specialist within 24 hours.
- Specialized care: Our staff is skilled at providing specialized care for chronic health conditions, including ADHD, autism, diabetes and asthma. They also provide blood tests, wound care and intravenous (IV) therapy.
- Mental health counseling: Whether you’re feeling blue, suffering from anxiety, working through your parents’ divorce, grieving the loss of a loved one, getting over a relationship or dealing with other life stressors, you can confidentially talk to one of our on-site mental health counselors.
- Nutrition services: Our staff nutritionists offer group classes and one-on-one sessions, including lessons on how to make smart food choices, lose weight and manage your diabetes, all designed to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Reproductive health services: At TYA, you can get gynecological exams, be tested for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and learn more about birth control options and STI prevention.
- Sports physicals: We provide comprehensive sports physicals with an emphasis on common problems facing young athletes, including concussions and overuse injuries.
- Vaccinations: We can help you stay up-to-date on the immunizations you need during your teen and young adult years, including vaccines for influenza (flu), human papillomavirus (HPV) and booster shots for meningitis and tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap).
Are You a Parent of a Teen or Young Adult?
Your child’s body is growing and changing and so are his or her related healthcare needs. It’s an important time for your teen or young adult to take on more responsibility for his or her physical and emotional well-being. Our TYA specialists are here to help you guide your maturing child into a more appropriate, grown-up healthcare setting.
TYA Programs for Parents:
These TYA programs can help you navigate the ever-changing teen and young adult years.
- Changing Bodies, Changing Minds Workshop
This workshop provides you with the tools needed to have an open discussion with your tween or teen about puberty and sexual health. You’ll also gain a better understanding of how hormone changes affect your child’s behavior, as well as get tips for communicating and engaging with your child during this sometimes turbulent life phase. At the same time, boys and girls ages 11 to 13 also meet in gender-specific groups led by a TYA specialist to learn more about their maturing bodies.
Our young adult specialists host regular seminars throughout the year that address concerns specific to parents of teens and young adults. Seminar topics include:
- Transitioning your child to an adult healthcare setting, including how to find an adult provider
- Navigating healthcare insurance coverage for your teen or young adult
- Fostering self-care skills in your teen or young adult, such as scheduling annual physical exams and other medical appointments and taking charge of ordering and taking prescription medications as needed
- Promoting developmental skills, such as helping your teen or young adult pursue an education or develop job skills
- Transitioning care services for teens or young adults with special health care needs
- Finding and providing ongoing care for a teen or young adult with intellectual or developmental disabilities
- Beverly Hills
- Downtown (opening Fall 2018)
- Redondo Beach
- Santa Clarita
- Santa Monica
For more information, please call (310) 264-0808.
Brianna Cowan, MD
Director, Teen and Young Adult Health and Wellness Program
Janet Ma, MD
Director, Medicine-Pediatrics Transition Care Program
Alice Kuo, MD, PhD
Director, Medicine-Pediatrics Comprehensive Care Center