As an intensivist in the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care medicine, I take care of patients admitted to Medical and Liver-transplant Intensive Care Units at Ronald Reagan Medical Center and participate in education of UCLA residents and fellows. Being a Director of of Bedside ultrasound of the Department of Medicine at UCLA, my clinical and research interest is focused on development of ultrasound-based technologies in intensive care settings and, in particular, fluid responsiveness in shock.
As a Medical Director of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) Program at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, I focus and lead many of our clinical and research projects in COPD, alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency syndrome and lung nodule/lung cancer. With strong academic background in the field of pulmonary immunology where I obtained my PhD degree in 2016, I am interested in the pathophysiologic and immune processes related to development of COPD. I am author of over sixty peer-reviewed publications and book chapters and participant or lead in multiple clinical trials focused on COPD, Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency, lung nodules/cancer, pulmonary complications of end-stage liver disease and hemodynamic shock.
- Editorial: "Bronchodilator responsiveness or reversibility in asthma and COPD - a need for clarity" Barjaktarevic I, Kaner R, Buhr RG, Cooper CB. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2018 Oct 23;13:3511-3513
- "Results from the SPIROMICS Bronchoscopy Sub-Study"; Wells JM, Arenberg DA, Barjaktarevic I, Bhatt SP, Bowler RP, Christenson SA, Couper DJ, Dransfield MT, Han MK, Hoffman EA, Kaner RJ, Kim V, Kleerup E, Martinez FJ, Moore WC, O'Beirne SL, Paine R 3rd, Putcha N, Raman SM, Barr RG, Rennard SI, Woodruff PG, Curtis JL; Safety and Tolerability of Comprehensive Research Bronchoscopy in COPD; Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2019 Jan 17. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201807-441OC
- "Perioperative Considerations in Liver Transplantation" - Barjaktarevic I, Cortes Lopez R, Steadman R, Wray C, Qadir N, Chang SY, Wang T. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2018 Oct;39(5):609-624
- "Critical Care Considerations in Liver Failure" - Barjaktarevic I, Subramanian R, Wang T. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2018 Oct;39(5):511-512. doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1673371. Epub 2018 Nov 28.
- "Ultrasound assessment of the change in Carotid Corrected Flow Time in Fluid Responsiveness in Undifferentiated Shock"; Barjaktarevic I, Toppen W, Hu S, Montoya EA, Ong S, Buhr R, Wang T, Rezayat T, Chang SY, Elashoff D, Markovic D, Berlin D, Cannesson M, Crit Care Med. 2018 Nov;46(11):e1040-e1046
- "Time to correct the flow of corrected flow time", Barjaktarevic I, Chiem A, Cannesson M., Crit Ultrasound J. 2017 Oct 4;9(1):18. doi: 10.1186/s13089-017-0076-x
- "Noninvasive ventilation in difficult endotracheal intubation: systematic and review analysis", Barjaktarevic I, Esquinas AM, West FM, Albores J, Berlin D. Anaesthesiol Intensive Ther. 2017 Sep 18. doi: 10.5603/AIT.a2017.0044
- "Indeterminate pulmonary nodules: How to minimize harm", Barjaktarevic I, Arenberg D, Grimes B, Ruchalski K, Aberle D – Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Oct, 37(5):689-707
- "The Role of Interleukin-23 in the Early Development of Emphysema in HIV1(+) Smokers": Barjaktarevic IZ, Crystal RG, Kaner RJ, J Immunol Res. 2016;2016:3463104
- "Ultrasound-Guided cannulation: Time to Bring Subclavian Central Lines Back"; Rezayat T, Stowell J, Kendall J, Turner E, Fox JC, Barjaktarevic I – Western Journal of Emergency Medicine 232 Volume XVII, no. 2 : March 2016
- "Supplemental Oxygen therapy for Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease" – Barjaktarevic I, Cooper C; Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2015 Aug;36(4):552-66
- "Positioning New Pharmacotherapies for COPD" –Barjaktarevic IZ, Arredondo AF, Cooper CB. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2015 Jul 24
- "A new algorithm for the management of COPD"; Cooper C, Barjaktarevic I - Lancet Respir Med. 2015 Apr;3(4):266-8
- "Diffusing Capacity for Carbon Monoxide Correlates Best with Tissue Volume from Quantitative CT Analysis" Cooper C, Barjaktarevic I; Chest. 2014 Dec 11. doi: 10.1378/chest.14-1693
• 2016 Full Time Faculty Teaching Award, by the Department of Medicine, UCLA
• Chief Fellow at the Department of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, New York Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, 2011-2012
• American Thoracic Society General travel award, 2009 International Conference, San Diego, April 2009
• “The Intern of the Year” award, Cabrini Medical Center, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, USA - 2007
• Honorary Life Membership, IFMSA Serbia – 2004
• Medical School educational stipend, Ministry of Health, Republic of Serbia, 1995-1997