CUHS Return to Service Approval Process
The Clinical UCLA Health Sciences (CUHS) Volunteer Program Return to Service Approval Process:
The UCLA Health Volunteer Services has begun our own Return to Service Phased Roll-Out plan starting October 1, 2020.
The volunteers/undergrads in the CUHS Program will be reviewed and approved to return on campus through a separate process from the Hospital Volunteer Programs and return requests must align with the guidelines from the UCLA Vice Chancellor of Research and DGSOM Research Ramp Up Phased Roll-Out plan.
All requests for CUHS Program volunteers/undergrads to return to campus are reviewed and approved on a case by case basis.
Effective July 6, 2021, we will begin the Return to Service PHASE 3 Roll Out, which includes the following:
Permissible Duties and Roles:
- Location of Services Permitted:
- Non-Clinical spaces and buildings.
- Low Risk Clinical setting and areas such as clinic waiting rooms, clinic offices, etc.
- Volunteers are required to be COVID vaccinated to be in clinical areas.
- Duties and roles must be restricted to:
- Data, administrative, or indirect contact with patients/study participants (i.e. Zoom, phone calls, etc.) on a UCLA owned device with staff supervision.
- Direct contact with non-COVID patients and/or study participants (i.e. surveys, provide study information, greet/guide, etc.) reviewed case by case.
- Volunteers are required to be COVID vaccinated to be in direct contact with patients and/or study participants.
- NOT Permitted:
- Access to the hospital, medical center, patient floors, patient rooms, or treatment spaces in which a patient is being seen such as exam rooms.
- Access to the Emergency Rooms.
- Access to isolation rooms or areas in which suspected COVID positive individuals are being held.
- Approved Shadowing Programs or Clinical Observers activities.
Eligibility to return on campus for PHASE 3 (must meet all of the following):
- Must be a current and actively registered as Clinical UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer.
- Must complete the Re-Activation Process with the UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Office.
- Must be have already completed all proper training requirements and obtained substantial experience in the same assignment prior to COVID pause.
- Employee supervision is required when volunteering.
- For those in Non-Research:
- The department must have already been notified and approved volunteers to return for non-research purposes before we initiate the return to service process.
- Justification is required as well as mitigation of risk involving building space capacities, physical distancing concerns, and non-compliance with COVID guidelines.
- For those already approved through Phase 2:
- If the volunteer’s role from Phase 2 will not change, no further action is required.
- If the volunteer will be returning with “clinical involvement”, the new RTS Phase 3 form should be submitted to be reviewed.
- Additional requirements will need to be completed for Phase 3 approval.
Requirements to return on campus (must complete all of the following):
- Supervisors must complete the Phase 3 CUHS Program Return to Service Request Form and obtain office approval.
- Each Volunteer/Undergrad must complete the Return to Volunteer Re-Activation Process with the UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Office.
- Clearance approvals will be confirmed via email and supervisors/PIs will be copied.
- Volunteers/Undergrads are required to follow all COVID Protocols and Volunteer requirements listed in the Re-Activation Process (requirements will vary depending on the volunteer/undergrad).