This program is for individuals who are personally invited to volunteer for a UCLA Health and/or DGSOM faculty or staff for clinical research and/or educational and academic experience. The Direct Referral Program is designed to expedite your application so you may be processed as quickly as possible. If you wish to volunteer at UCLA Health, but have not been invited by a staff member, you must either identify a supervisor for your volunteer assignment before proceeding, or join one of the other volunteer programs listed on our website.
Non-Clinical Research Volunteers:
If you will be volunteering in a non-clinical research lab or department through the School of Medicine and your volunteer position does NOT involve:
- Patient or human test subject contact/interaction
- Access to identifiable information
- OR perform any work within clinical areas (i.e. hospital, clinics, etc.)
You should be processed through the David Geffen School of Medicine; please click here for more information.
Pre-Assgned Hospital Volunteers:
The Ronald Reagan Pre-Assigned Program is for volunteers who have been invited or accepted as a volunteer to assist UCLA Health staff at the Ronald Reagan hospital and/or 200 Medical Plaza for pateint care ONLY. (Does NOT include volunteering for DGSOM faculty/staff, research, shadowing programs (except MAPS), or academic purposes). Please have your supervisor complete an invitation letter (click here) and submit it to the coordinator, Regina Naanos (firstname.lastname@example.org).
NOTE: Shadowing Policy
Due to the Shadowing Policy, volunteers or students are NOT permitted to shadow physicians or other healthcare professionals as part of their volunteer role, unless accepted into a UCLA Health/DGSOM approved shadowing program.
NOTE: The Direct Referral Program consists of invited or accepted volunteers into programs and/or assignments. The entire program is NOT an approved shadowing program and it does not place students for shadowing.
Instead, we strongly encourage students to engage in longer-term, substantive experiences involving patient interaction such as Care Extenders or the General Student Volunteer Program. Please note that the General Volunteer Programs are NOT a approved shadowing programs.
Here is a sample list of Approved Shadowing programs (each has their own acceptance process and recruitment cycle):
Requirements to be eligible as a Direct Referral Volunteer:
- Age 16 years and older (restrictions apply)
- Age 18 years and older for Clinical Research
- Must have valid government issued ID, driver's license or passport (required for background check and ID Badge)
- Minimum length of volunteer service is one month AND 50 hours
- Volunteers may NOT start in more than ONE assignment. They must complete 50 hours in their current assignment before adding or transferring into another. (If you are interested in the Ronald Reagan Student Volunteer assignments, you muct complete at least a total of 100 hours).
How to get started:
All Direct Referral Volunteers must submit a Direct Referral Request Form for approval prior to registering for an on-boarding appointment. Please follow the instructions provided:
- To start, the appropriate form must be completed and submitted. (Letters are no longer accepted for Direct Referral). Please complete the necessary form depending on your assignment:
- Clinical Research (IRB-Approved) and/or UCLA SRP:
- The inviting faculty/supervisor must complete and sign the Clinical Research Volunteer Scope Of Duties Form5.17.17 (CRVSOD). (Each volunteer must have a form)
- For UCLA SRP only: You will also need to submit your approved SRP Contract with/after the CRVSOD form.
- NOTE: please find your sponsor and submit the CRVSOD form at least 2 weeks BEFORE your expected start date (typically clearances will take 1-2 weeks).
- Approved Shadowing Program:
- All Other Assignments (Dentistry, Academic Purpose, IRB-Exempted Clinical Research, Quality Improvement, Etc.)
- Submit the Form for Office Approval:
- You or the supervisor may submit the completed and signed form to Lily Zhang at email@example.com or in person at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Volunteer Services B791 for review. If you or your supervisor do not receive a reply within 2-3 business days, please follow up via email.
- After Submission of the Form:
- Volunteers may preview the documentations, trainings and immunizations required for the On-Boarding Appointment here.
- Once the form is approved, you will be emailed instructions to proceed to the On-Boarding Appointment.
- Turnaround time from On Boarding to Final Session is typically 1-2 weeks (with no delays from live scan or immunizations).
- After the On-Boarding Appointment, it is required to attend a Final Processing Session to finalize the volunteer clearance.
Required forms, modules and immunizations
On-Boarding Session: Review orientation guide and dress code and more information
Final Processing Session and other pertinent information
For questions regarding the Direct Referral Program, contact Lily Zhang at (310) 267-8534 or firstname.lastname@example.org.