Every year the UCLA Health Auxiliary sponsors student scholarship awards. Each student volunteer (undergraduate level or higher) must complete 150 service hours in a calendar year (from January to December) in order to be eligible. Previous winners are not eligible to apply a second time. We have created this website to answer many common questions and to provide you with a timeline of deadlines. Please refer to the FAQs section; if you have any further questions that are not addressed you may contact Elaine Eastwood at firstname.lastname@example.org or (424) 259-8176.
How to Apply
- Complete application: Click here to download the Student Awards application.
- Get letter of recommendation OR have Volunteer Recommendation Form completed by one of your volunteer supervisors.
- Submit one school transcript (does not need to be official). If you have attended more than one institution, you should submit one for each facility.
- All documents (5 copies of application, 5 copies of recommendation letter OR form, and 1 unofficial transcript) must be submitted in person by Friday, February 17th at 3PM to UCLA Santa Monica Volunteer Services Office located at 1328 16th St., 2nd Floor, Santa Monica, CA 90404. Office hours are Mon-Fri, 9AM-4PM.
Important Dates for Auxiliary Student Volunteer Awards 2017
- Friday, February 17, 2017
- Application deadline in the Santa Monica Volunteer office located at 1328 16th Street, Second Floor.
- Monday, April 3, 2017
- Email to finalists and non-finalists.
- Tuesday, April 11, 2017
- All day interviews with Auxiliary Judging Panel.
- Monday, April 17, 2017
- Winners and non-winners contacted by email.
- Wednesday, May 3, 2017
- Auxiliary Awards luncheon and general meeting.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many copies of packet do I need? You must have 5 sets of the application packet, which should include the application and letter of recommendation.
- May I hand write the application? It is allowed, however for clarity and ease of reading we recommend typing it.
- How do I verify my volunteer hours for the application? On the sign in computer.
- May the application packet be emailed? No, must be dropped off in person.
- May I mail the packet by postal service or other carrier? No, must be dropped off in person to the Santa Monica Volunteer Office located at 1328 16th Street (mon-Fri 9AM-4PM). Deadline is February 17th at 3PM.
- May I drop off part of packet while I am waiting for letter of recommendation or other item? No, packets must be 100% complete or will not be considered eligible.
- Can someone else turn in my packet for me? Yes.
- What if I can’t make the awards luncheon? You forfeit your place as a winner.
- Can I bring my family to the luncheon? Yes, no more than 2 people.
- Who is eligible? Eligible volunteers must have completed 150 hours in calendar year and must be college student or above. Last date of active service may be no later than November.
- When do I find out if I am eligible? Qualified applicants will receive letter will be sent in January.
- I think I am eligible for an award but did not receive notification. Who should I contact? Elaine Eastwood 424-259-8176 email@example.com
- When will I find out that I am a finalist? Please refer to dates noted on the website.
- What if I made it to finalist but can’t make it to the interview? You forfeit your place. No special arrangements will be made.
- I am a winner. How much are the awards? At least $1,000 or more and you will receive a letter from us stating the amount and will receive the check at the awards luncheon.
- I am a finalist. What can I expect from the interview? You will be interviewed by a five-panel group of Auxiliary judges for approximately fifteen minutes. They will ask you about yourself, your interests, your field of study, your volunteering, career aspirations and anything else they feel is relevant to getting to know you better.
Letter of Recommendation
- Who can write the letter of recommendation or complete the recommendation form? Your immediate supervisor (I.E. a nurse, doctor, care partner or tech as well as a unit director, manager or supervisor).
- Do letters need to be original? No, only one original letter on letterhead with signature and 4 copies of it. The same applies for the recommendation form, if you choose to use that in lieu of the letter.
- May the letter of recommendation be emailed? No, the letter (or form) must be included with the application packet.
- May I have more than one letter of recommendation? No.
- How long does the letter of recommendation need to be? No more than 2 typewritten pages.
- What should the letter of recommendation include? Observations on your quality of work, attendance record, attitude, customer service.
Stats (Winners, Judges, Finalists, Applicants)
- How many winners are there? It varies but there are at least eight.
- How many people apply? It varies from year to year.
- How many finalists (interviewees) are there? 15
- Do transcripts need to be official? No. You may also print your DPR
- Do I need 5 copies of transcripts? No, just one.
What if I Am A Former Winner
- What if I am a former winner? You are not eligible for the award.
What happens After I Turn In My Application Packet
- I turned in my application packet by the deadline, what happens next? Your packet is assembled with the other applicants in packets for the five judges. The judges will then read your application and judge you based on years and amount of volunteer service, GPA, outside activities, and letter of recommendation.
- When do I find out whether or not I am a finalist? April 3, 2017. Both finalists and non-finalists will be emailed.