Dr. Ong is an associate professor in residence at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine in Los Angeles, California, and a staff physician at the Greater Los Angeles VA Health Care System where he is the research leader for its section of hospital medicine. His research interests focus on improving the delivery of appropriate and efficient health care. His research has applied this focus in several areas of general medicine, including health system-based care, mental health, tobacco control, and and GI/liver related research.
Current projects related to GI/liver disease
- CDU-UCLA Cancer Center Partnership to Eliminate Cancer Health Disparities (U54 CA 143931) subaward G0077P1 “Let’s Talk About It” project on increasing awareness for colorectal cancer screening
- van Deen WK, van Oijen MG, Myers KD, Centeno A, Howard W, Choi JM, Roth BE, McLaughlin EM, Hollander D, Wong-Swanson B, Sack J, Ong MK, Ha CY, Esrailian E, Hommes DW. A nationwide 2010-2012 analysis of U.S. health care utilization in inflammatory bowel diseases. Inflammatory bowel diseases. 2014; 20(10):1747-53. PubMed [journal] PMID: 25137415
- Casalino LP, Dunham D, Chin MH, Bielang R, Kistner EO, Karrison TG, Ong MK, Sarkar U, McLaughlin MA, Meltzer DO. Frequency of failure to inform patients of clinically significant outpatient test results. Archives of internal medicine.
2009; 169(12):1123-9. PubMed [journal] PMID: 19546413
- Ong MK, Jones L, Aoki W, Belin TR, Bromley E, Chung B, Dixon E, Johnson MD, Jones F, Koegel P, Khodyakov D, Landry CM, Lizaola E, Mtume N, Ngo VK, Perlman J, Pulido E, Sauer V, Sherbourne CD, Tang L, Vidaurri E, Whittington Y, Williams P, Lucas-Wright A, Zhang L, Southard M, Miranda J, Wells K. A Community-Partnered, Participatory, Cluster-Randomized Study of Depression Care Quality Improvement: Three-Year Outcomes. Psychiatric Services (Washington, D.C.). 2017; :appips201600488. PubMed [journal] PMID: 28712349
- Ong MK, Romano PS, Edgington S, Aronow HU, Auerbach AD, Black JT, De Marco T, Escarce JJ, Evangelista LS, Hanna B, Ganiats TG, Greenberg BH, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Kimchi A, Liu H, Lombardo D, Mangione CM, Sadeghi B, Sadeghi B, Sarrafzadeh M, Tong K, Fonarow GC. Effectiveness of Remote Patient Monitoring After Discharge of Hospitalized Patients With Heart Failure: The Better Effectiveness After Transition -- Heart Failure (BEAT-HF) Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA internal medicine. 2016; 176(3):310-8. NIHMSID: NIHMS766368 PubMed [journal] PMID: 26857383, PMCID: PMC4827701
- Ong MK. Tobacco Cessation--We Can Do Better. JAMA internal medicine. 2015; 175(9):1516-7. PubMed [journal] PMID: 26075733
- Banka G, Edgington S, Kyulo N, Padilla T, Mosley V, Afsarmanesh N, Fonarow GC, Ong MK. Improving patient satisfaction through physician education, feedback, and incentives. Journal of hospital medicine. 2015; 10(8):497-502. PubMed [journal] PMID: 26014339
- Chung B, Ong M, Ettner SL, Jones F, Gilmore J, McCreary M, Sherbourne C, Ngo V, Koegel P, Tang L, Dixon E, Miranda J, Belin TR, Wells KB. 12-month outcomes of community engagement versus technical assistance to implement depression
collaborative care: a partnered, cluster, randomized, comparative effectiveness trial. Annals of internal medicine. 2014; 161(10 Suppl):S23-34. NIHMSID: NIHMS626948 PubMed [journal] PMID: 25402400, PMCID: PMC4235578
- Ong MK, Diamant AL, Zhou Q, Park HY, Kaplan RM. Estimates of smoking-related property costs in California multiunit housing. American journal of public health. 2012; 102(3):490-3. PubMed [journal] PMID: 21852657, PMCID: PMC3487653
- Ong MK, Zhou Q, Sung HY. Primary care providers advising smokers to quit: comparing effectiveness between those with and without alcohol, drug, or mental disorders. Nicotine & tobacco research : official journal of the Society for
Research on Nicotine and Tobacco. 2011; 13(12):1193-201. PubMed [journal] PMID: 21859810, PMCID: PMC3254155
- Ong MK, Mangione CM, Romano PS, Zhou Q, Auerbach AD, Chun A, Davidson B, Ganiats TG, Greenfield S, Gropper MA, Malik S, Rosenthal JT, Escarce JJ. Looking forward, looking back: assessing variations in hospital resource use and outcomes for elderly patients with heart failure. Circulation. Cardiovascular quality and outcomes. 2009; 2(6):548-57. NIHMSID: NIHMS153778 PubMed [journal] PMID: 20031892, PMCID: PMC2951887