In addition to robust clinical training, our fellows participate in a variety of lectures and conferences intended to round out their learning experience.
- Fellows' Didactic Curriculum: This weekly, dedicated educational session, takes place on Wednesday mornings from 9-12 pm. The morning incorporates lectures given by faculty on core endocrine topics with board review (using the Endocrine Self-Assessment Program or ESAP), case conferences (twice monthly) and journal club (monthly).
- Tumor Boards
- UCLA Multidisciplinary Endocrine Tumor Board (1st Wednesday of the month from 12-1 pm). This monthly multidisciplinary conference with endocrine surgery, radiology, nuclear medicine and pathology provides a venue for discussion of difficult to manage thyroid, parathyroid, and adrenal cases to best plan combined medical and surgical management.
- UCLA Pituitary Tumor Board (1st Wednesday of the month from 1-2:30 pm): Multidisciplinary monthly conference with Neurosurgery, Neuroradiology, Head and Neck Surgery, Radiation Oncology, and Neuropathology faculty to review interesting pituitary cases. Videos from recent neurosurgical cases are usually presented and fellows have the opportunity to present key learning issues. UCLA Pituitary Tumor Board.
- VA Tumor Board and Cytopathology Conference. During this monthly meeting, thyroid FNAs as well as surgical path cases are reviewed by a cytopathologist on a multi-headed microscope with clinical case discussion
- Endocrine Grand Rounds
- UCLA: In this weekly formal lecture series, a variety of clinical and research topics in endocrinology are discussed by faculty as well as eminent visiting experts.
- VA: This Friday morning conference series includes a variety of lecture topics as well as Diabetes case conference, monthly Lipid conferences and reviews of guidelines.
- Trainees are also welcome to attend a variety of conferences, including Internal Medicine Grand Rounds, Morbidity and Mortality Conference and research seminars offered at the medical center.
- All fellows attend Endocrine University (AACE-sponsored 1 week didactic session at Mayo Clinic).
- Fellows are also invited to a variety of regional endocrine seminars over the course of their training, and are provided a stipend towards attending the conference of their choice each year.