The May Laboratory uses implementation science methodologies and frameworks to design, implement, and study evidence-based projects at UCLA Health, the Greater Los Angeles Veterans Affairs Healthcare System, and Federally Qualified Health Centers.
Programs are tailored to the specific needs of each health system and include patient education and outreach, provider education, care coordination, and improvements in processes of care.
In all settings, this work require partnership with system administrators and quality improvements experts to achieve national guidelines and benchmarks.
Projects center around appropriate use of health care services, including screening tests, colonoscopy, and upper endoscopy. Interventions to improve appropriateness reduce unnecessary endoscopy and ensure appropriate use of proton pump inhibitors for acid reflux disease.
- John N. Mafi, MD, MPH, Assistant Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- Catherine Sarkisian, MD, MSHS, Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- Katherine Kahn, MD, Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- Mafi JN, May FP, Kahn KL, Chong M, Corona E, Yang L, Mongare MM, Nair V, Reynolds C, Gupta R, Damberg CL, Esrailian E, Sarkisian C. Low-Value Proton Pump Inhibitor Prescriptions Among Older Adults at a Large Academic Health System. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019 Sep 5;. doi: 10.1111/jgs.16117. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 31486549
- Yu C, Skootsky S, Grossman M, Garner OB, Betlachin A, Esrailian E, Hommes DW, May FP. A Multi-Level Fit-Based Quality Improvement Initiative to Improve Colorectal Cancer Screening in a Managed Care Population. Clin Transl Gastroenterol. 2018 Sep 4;9(8):177. doi: 10.1038/s41424-018-0046-z. PMID: 30177700
- May FP, Yu C, Kaunitz J. High quality of cancer care in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Am J Cancer Res. 2018 Apr 1;8(4):761-762. eCollection 2018 April 1;8(4):761-762. PMID: 29736320
- May FP, Gupta S. When Should Screening Stop for Elderly Individuals at Average and Increased Risk for Colorectal Cancer? Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Feb;16(2):178-180.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.cgh.2017.11.009. Epub 2017 Nov 10. PMID: 29133256