- UCLA Center for HIV Research, Mucosal Immunology Core Laboratory (UCLA CFAR MICL)
- UCLA Center for HIV Prevention Research (UCLA CPR)
- UCLA AIDS Institute
- Federal grants: NIH, NIA, NIAID and NIDA
- Private individuals and foundations
Current Research Projects
- Safety and efficacy of anti-HIV rectal and vaginal microbicides for HIV transmission prevention
- Efficiency and effectiveness of rectal enemas as delivery method of anti-HIV microbicides
- Use of intravaginal rings to deliver HIV antiretroviral medication
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to prevent HIV transmission in men who have sex with men
- Minority men who have sex with men and substance use in relation to HIV transmission and treatment
Future Research Directions
- Assessments of increased immune-senescence in HIV infected individuals
- Nanomedicine approaches to target drug delivery
- Innate versus adaptive immune systems in highly-exposed sero-negative (HESN) populations
- Anton PA, Poles MA, Elliott J, Mao SH, McGowan I, Lenz HJ, Chen IS. (2001). Sensitive and reproducible quantitation of mucosal HIV-1 RNA and DNA viral burden in patients with detectable and undetectable plasma viral HIV-1 RNA using endoscopic biopsies. J Virol Methods, 95(1-2) 65-79.
- Shacklett BL, Yang O, Hausner MA, Elliott J, Hultin L, Price C, Fuerst M, Matud J, Hultin P, Cox C, Ibarrondo J, Wong JT, Nixon DF, Anton PA, Jamieson BD. (2003). Optimization of methods to assess human mucosal T-cell responses to HIV infection. J Immunol Methods, 279(1-2) 17-31.
- McGowan I, Elliott J, Cortina G, Tanner K, Siboliban C, Adler A, Cho D, Boscardin WJ, Soto-Torres L, Anton PA. (2007). Characterization of baseline intestinal mucosal indices of injury and inflammation in men for use in rectal microbicide trials (HIV Prevention Trials Network-056). J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 46(4) 417-425.
- Anton PA, Cranston RD, Kashuba A, Hendrix C, Bumpus NN, Richardson-Harman N, Elliott J, Janocko L, Khanukhova E, Dennis RA, Cumberland WG, Ju C, Carballo-Dieguez A, Mauck C, McGowan IM. (2012). RMP-02/MTN-006: A Phase 1 Rectal Safety, Acceptability, Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Study of Tenofovir 1% Gel Compared to Oral Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses, 28(11) 1412-1421. PMCID: PMC3484811.
- Yang, OO, Ibarrondo, FJ, Price, C, Hultin, LE, Elliott, J, Hultin, PM, Shih, R, Hausner, MA, Hwee, LN, Hoffman, J, Jamieson, BD, Anton, PA Differential blood and mucosal immune responses against an HIV-1 vaccine administered via inguinal or deltoid injection. PLOS One 2014; 9(2):e88621.
- Gorbach, PM, Pines, H, Javanbakht, M, Weiss, RE, Jeffries, R, Cranston, RD, Fuchs, EJ, Hezareh, M, Brown, S, Voskanian, A, Anton, P Order of Orifices: Sequence of condom use and ejaculation by orifice during anal intercourse among women: implications for HIV transmission, JAIDS 2014 Dec 1;67(4):424-9. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000000314.
- Richardson-Harman, N, Hendrix, CW, Mauck, C, McGowan, I, Cranston, RD, Yang, K, Elliott, J, Tanner, K, Kashuba, A, Anton, PA Correlation between compartmental tenofovir concentrations and an ex vivo rectal biopsy model of tissue infectibilty in the RMP-02/MTN-006 Phase I study. PLoS ONE, 2014 9(10): e111507. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0111507.
- McGowan, I, Anton, PA, Elliott, J, Cranston, RD, Duffill, K, Althouse, AD, Hawkins, KL, De Rosa, SC Exploring the feasibility of multi-site flow cytometric processing of gut associated lymphoid tissue with centralized data analysis for multi-site clinical trials. PLoS ONE 2015, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0126454.
- McGowan I, Cranston RD, Duffill K, Siegel A, Engstrom JC, Nikiforov A, Jacobson C, Rehman KK, Elliott J, Khanukhova E, Abebe K, Mauck C, Spiegel HM, Dezzutti CS, Rohan LC, Marzinke MA, Hiruy H, Hendrix CW, Richardson-Harman N, Anton PA. A phase 1 randomized, open label, rectal safety, acceptability, harmacokinetic, and pharmacodynamic study of three formulations of Tenofovir 1% gel (the CHARM-01 Study). PLoS One. 2015;10(5):e0125363. PMCID:PMC4420274.
Past GI Research Fellows
- Weiwei Cao, MD
- Christopher Chang, MD, PhD
- Elmer Y. Chang, MD, PhD
- Terence Chiu, MD, PhD
- Daniel Cho, MD
- Jennifer Choi, MD
- Temitope Foster, MD, MS
- Theodore Kelesidis, MD
- Jonathan Lin, MD
- Adrian Lunn, MD, PhD
- Michael A. Poles, MD
- Leo Treyzon, MD, MS