BPC is taking the following safety measures to help protect our staff and our donors:
- Follow a donation-by-appointment policy. You may make an appointment at https://www.uclahealth.org/gotblood/make-an-appointment or call 310-825-0888, option 2
- The UCLA Blood & Platelet Center has implemented universal masking, in addition to social distancing protocols.
- Limit donor center access to individuals with appointments who are not accompanied by others.
- Mandatory temperature screening of donor center employees and visitors (e.g. donors, couriers, vendors). Those who do not wish to participate will not be allowed in the building.
- Walk-in donors will be accommodated only when capacity allows for appropriate social distancing.
- Enforce donor self-deferral for donors who are at increased risk for COVID-19. Self-deferral information is listed at https://www.uclahealth.org/gotblood
- Ask donors to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before and after donation.
- Give donors more space during the entire process by increasing the distance between donors in the screening, collection and refreshment areas.
- Give donors increased spacing during the donation process. For bloodmobile drives, the collection process will be limited to only two donors at a time.
- Follow procedures for cleaning and disinfecting all areas and increase the frequency, such as cleaning the donor bed and other surfaces in the collection area after each donor.
- Increase the frequency for cleaning and disinfecting the donor screening and refreshment areas, restrooms, doorknobs and other surfaces.
- Empty waste bins frequently.
- Serve each donor individually wrapped snacks and drinks, limiting exposure to the supply, rather than allowing all donors access to the supply of snacks and drinks.
- UCLA staff follow UCLA COVID-19 policy and must stay home from work if they are sick.
Reference: AABB Donor-Center-Focus-on-Safety.pdf.