The UCLA Cardiac Arrhythmia Center offers one of the most comprehensive programs in the United States to treat complex arrhythmias. Our center provides patients of all age groups with the most advanced procedures for diagnosing and treating cardiac arrhythmias.
- Specialized Care: The center’s multidisciplinary team includes electrophysiologists- cardiologists that have additional training in the diagnosis and treatment of abnormal heart rhythms. We work in collaboration with other specialized centers at UCLA including the Ahmanson UCLA Cardiomyopathy Center (the largest heart failure program in the western U.S.), cardiac surgery, thoracic surgery, and adult congenital heart disease programs to offer the best care to our patients.
- Devices: We offer a full range of the newest pacemaker and cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) devices to provide individualized treatment for many irregular heart rhythms. Physicians and nurses in our UCLA Outpatient Device Clinic perform about 14,000 device checks each year to monitor the function of implanted devices.
- Electrical Mapping and Ablation: We use advanced mapping systems and ablation therapies in state-of-the art electrophysiology labs for atrial and ventricular arrhythmias.
- Epicardial ablation: UCLA has one of the largest programs for epicardial ablation. This technique enables doctors to map and ablate the outer wall and lining of the heart by introducing a needle underneath the breastbone. “This complex technique has been shown to improve outcomes in patients with recurrent ventricular arrhythmias,” says Dr. Jason Bradfield, a board-certified electrophysiologist and director of the UCLA Ventricular Tachycardia Program.
- Lead Extraction: Our team excels at removing complicated cardiac leads using highly specialized tools to reduce the risk of complications and ensure patient safety.
- Cardiac Sympathetic Denervation: Dr. Marmar Vaseghi, a cardiac electrophysiologist and director of the Clinical and Translational Research Center, has partnered with UCLA surgeons and UCLA anesthesiologists to develop, research and offer an innovative procedure called cardiac sympathectic denervation. The procedure is used for patients who have not responded to medications or ablations.
- Genetic Testing: The center works with patients and families to perform genetic testing and counseling to determine and address the presence of inherited arrhythmia disorders.
- Training and Research: In addition to our emphasis on the highest quality of patient care, the center is a major resource for training and research. We host cardiologists and visiting cardiologists from the United States and abroad. An advanced fellowship is offered for cardiologists with a career interest in cardiac electrophysiology. We have a world-renowned research team who focus on shaping the future of cardiac electrophysiology to improve the care and lives of our patients.