The UCLA ECMO team dedicates its services to three patient groups: adult, pediatric, and neonatal patients.
UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital has a dedicated neonatal/pediatric transport team that is composed of a RN (Registered Nurse), RT (Respiratory Therapist), two perfusionists and two EMTs. The team is available on call 24/7 and is capable and experienced in ECLS transports by ground and fixed-wing ambulances.
Pediatric patients requiring inpatient rehabilitation are identified by occupational, speech, and physical therapists. These patients are referred to Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles. UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital has a developmental pediatric specialist on staff.
For information on Pediatric patients concerning ECLS please visit the Pediatric ECMO/VAD website.
The following types of patients can require ECMO treatment:
- Severe acute lung injury due to aspiration, pneumonia, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) or long-term chronic lung disease (pulmonary fibrosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) who are not responding to the usual breathing treatments (ventilators), medicine and extra oxygen support and can also include:
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- H1N1 Influenza A respiratory failure
- Aspiration pneumonia
- Sepsis-related ARDS
- Pneumonia (viral, bacterial, atypical)
- Pancreatitis with systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS)
- Burns (smoke inhalation)
- Pulmonary embolism
- Rescue therapy for a failed lung transplant or as a bridge to lung transplant
- Refractory cardiac failure – either before or after cardiac surgery
- Cardiogenic shock any cause except sepsis
- Acute myocardial infarction
- Refractory arrhythmia
- Post-partum cardiomyopathy
- Pulmonary embolus
- Post-cardiotomy failure
- Acute or chronic heart failure
- Post-transplant organ failure
- Hypothermic arrest
- Bridge to ventricular assist device (VAD) or transplants
For assistance in facilitating transfers to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, contact the UCLA Health Transfer Center at 310-825-0909