Day of Surgery Instructions
- Dress comfortably.
- Bring a jacket or sweater, as the procedure room may be cool.
- Do not apply any foundation, sun block, facial cream, lotion, perfume, cologne, after-shave, hair spray, or cosmetics. Come in with a clean face and eyelids.
- Arrive at the Laser Refractive Center at the time of your scheduled appointment with a “responsible adult” who can drive you home after the procedure. You should not try to drive yourself home.
- Bring the antibiotic and anti-inflammatory eye drops that your doctor prescribed with you.
- Plan to be at the Laser Refractive Center about an hour and a half.
- Do not plan any significant activities the rest of the day. Go home. Get into a relatively dark room. Rest or sleep for the next five to six hours. Keep your eyes gently closed during this time.
- Take aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), or Tylenol as needed to manage any eye discomfort or pain you experience.
- Do not rub your eyes after the procedure!
- If a bandage contact lens is placed in either eye, leave it in and sleep with it until your doctor removes it.
- Do not take a shower or get any water into your eyes for the next 24 hours.
- These day-of-surgery instructions are generic. Contact your doctor’s office for any additional instructions or exceptions to these instructions.
Download a copy of the instructions >