The mission of the Pediatric Faculty Diversity Committee is to promote a culture of inclusion and appreciation for diversity across multiple areas, including race/ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and gender in order to enhance patient care, teaching, and research within the Division of Pediatrics.
1. To promote recruitment, retention, professional excellence, and overall well-being among underrepresented residents, fellows, and faculty. To meet this objective we will:
2. To enhance departmental cultural awareness and sensitivity to enrich the services we provide to the diverse communities represented by our patients. To meet this objective we will:
Ensure that patient care is equitable and inclusive for patients and families with diverse backgrounds.
1. Enhance the Department's mentoring programs for junior and mid-level faculty
2. Support our pediatric residency and fellowship programs in recruiting applicants
3. Provide resident and fellow training opportunities and promote discussion on cultural awareness and sensitivity
4. Invite national experts on diversity and cultural awareness and sensitivity to Pediatric Grand Rounds Conferences
5. Utilize opportunities at national meetings, and from UCLA pediatric clinical rotations to expand outreach to and recruitment of students from other medical schools
6. Develop a faculty curriculum and offer training opportunities to teach cultural awareness and sensitivity with fellows, residents, and students
We are currently accepting applications for our Visiting Elective Scholarship Program (VESP), which provides financial support to senior U.S. medical students who are traditionally underrepresented in medicine, and who are interested in applying to UCLA for a senior clinical elective."
Pictured above left to right: Valencia Walker, Alma Guerrero, Josephine Isabel-Jones, Kate Perkins, Tumaini Coker, and Robert Morris
Josephine Isabel-Jones (chair)
(in alphabetical order)
Thomas Klitzner Alice Kuo Robert Morris Andy Newcomer Kate Perkins
Contact us for more information:
Pediatric Medical Education Office 310-267-9124 PedsRes@mednet.ucla.edu