UCLA Health Nursing is committed to our mission to deliver leading-edge patient care through professional nursing practice, education and research. As leaders, scientists and transferors of knowledge, UCLA Health nurses take great pride in sharing the results of their research and evidence-based practice projects with their colleagues locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. The organization supports nurses in the dissemination of their leading-edge work. Organizational support may include assistance with abstract development, submission guidance, and financial support for registration, travel and conference-related expenses within established guidelines.
Presenter Responsibilities: All presenters representing UCLA Health nursing will adhere to the following expectations.
- Nurses will select conferences for abstract submission considering the following factors:
- Alignment with UCLA Health Nursing strategic priorities
- Ability to contribute to specialty knowledge
- Opportunity to enhance visibility of UCLA Health Nursing
- Opportunities to dialogue/collaborate with interested colleagues
- Greatest growth opportunity for professional development
- Priority consideration for high-value conferences such as Magnet, AONE, NTI, ANA, STTI or specialty organizations.
- Obtain manager approval for abstract submission.
- Develop the abstract based on submission guidelines and timeframes.
- Consider attending abstract development course.
- First-time presenters should submit to leadership (manager, director, CNS or educator) for peer review/coaching 30 days prior to conference abstract submission deadline.
After Abstract Acceptance:
- Notify leadership (Unit Director/Manager) of accepted abstract.
- Obtain leader and CNO approval.
- Use the form on UCLA Health Nursing website (Center for Nursing Excellence Sponsored Travel Request Form) (http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3689225/NRE-Travel-Request-Form) to submit registration request, request for Pre-Trip Authorization (PTA) number, and anticipated conference related expenses within specified timeframes.
- Request for registration payment 21 days prior to early bird registration deadline
- Request for PTA and book flights 60 days prior to travel
- Expense reports within 30 days of return for reimbursement using the Center Travel Reimbursement Request Form (https://form.jotformpro.com/uclanre/nre-travel-reimb-request-fo).
- Utilize UCLA Travel Services for travel-related booking and benefits.
- Book hotel accommodations in accordance with UCLA Travel Policy.
- Obtain approval from leadership (Unit Director/Manager) for use of time off for professional development, request paid time off using accrued vacation/holiday time, or opt to go on your own time.
- Commit to offering the presentation or poster to the UCLA Health Nursing community at an identified venue within 6 months of the conference.
- Attendance at poster development course recommended
- Develop poster using standard template and according to conference requirements.
- Include UCLA Health logo and graphic standards
- First time poster presenters should seek guidance and obtain final approval from unit/department leadership as appropriate and electronically submit completed poster for peer review 30 days prior to conference deadline.
- Edit poster based on leadership and/or peer review recommendations.
- Additional consultation may be available through nursing councils such as the Nursing Practice Research Council, New Knowledge, Improvements, and Innovations Council, and Professional Development Council.
Finalize poster and electronically submit for printing two weeks prior to conference deadline.
- Utilize approved UCLA Health graphic standards and template for power point presentation.
- For first time presenters, podium presentations must be submitted for peer review 30 days prior to conference deadline and practice presentation with coach.
Guidelines for Financial Support
- Podium or poster presentation: First and second author (if applicable) will be supported with conference registration, travel, hotel, and meals.
- Additional nurse presenters may be considered for travel support with approval of manager, CNO and Director of the Center for Nursing Excellence.
- Poster printing will be supported if submitted at least two weeks prior to conference deadline.
- A Center for Nursing Excellence Supported Travel Request Form - available on this page - must be completed and approved prior to travel.