UCLA has the unique advantage of its family planning clinic housed within the clinic where the bulk of ambulatory OBGYN care and training takes place.
- Fellows are trained in all aspects of reproductive health, which includes medical and surgical abortions in first and second trimester
- The UCLA Fellow will supervise residents and medical students at the OBGYN family planning clinic, which includes a clinic for complex contraception and a variety of in-office gynecologic procedures.
- Early 1st trimester pregnancy surgical termination procedures are performed in the clinic with local and oral medication.
- Medically complex and second trimester surgical termination procedures are performed in the main operating rooms and ambulatory surgery center of UCLA.
- Fellows gain technical skills in ultrasound.
- UCLA is a Merck Center of Experience for difficult Nexplanon removals.
- Additional abortion training is available at Planned Parenthood Los Angeles Affiliates
- After completing this training, fellows are given the opportunity to work as an independent provider at a corresponding Planned Parenthood and master functioning independently in a high-volume setting.
- General obstetrics and gynecology call is expected from fellows. Maintenance of general clinical practice allows for collection of cases for board certification.
The UCLA Fellow will be well prepared to tackle family planning care in various clinical settings including the large academic medical center, community hospital, and free standing clinic while maintaining general OBGYN skills. Our mission is to advance training, research and health policy in family planning. We aim to improve women’s reproductive health by providing leadership in clinical care, research, population health, advocacy , education. Our division promotes visibility and access to recognized experts in family planning.