Adjunct Associate Professor
Manager, Implant Tribology Laboratory, the J. Vernon Luck Orthopaedic Research Center
Orthopaedic Institute for Children,
J. Vernon Luck. Sr. Orthopaedic Research Center
403 W. Adams Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90007
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, Beijing University of Technology, Beijing, China (19781982)
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, Beijing University of Technology, Beijing, China (1984)
- PhD, Biomedical Engineering, University of Southern California, CA (2001)
Developing and evaluating wear resistant bearing materials for prosthetic joints (hip, knee and spinal disc replacements), particularly crosslinked polyethylene and metal-metal bearings. Through the analysis of retrieved implants, evaluating how the design and bearing material affect the long-term clinical performance. Use of computer modeling (finite element analysis) to evaluate and improve the performance of many types of orthopaedic implants, particularly the nature of the bone-implant interface.
Ongoing contract research from several orthopaedic implant manufacturers and support from the Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital Foundation.
- CeramTec Award for outstanding research on bioceramics in joint replacement, 1998
- The John Charnley Award from the Hip Society, 2006
- Best Scientific Exhibition Award from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2006
- Liao, P., McKellop, H., Lu, Z., Campbell, P., Benya, P.D., "The effect of frictional heating and forced cooling on the serum lubrication and wear of UHMW polyethylene cups against cobalt-chromium and zirconia balls". Biomaterials, 24:18, 3047-3059, 2003.
- Campbell, P., Beaulé, P.E., Ebramzadeh, E., LeDuff, M., Smet, K.D., Lu, Z., Amstutz, H.C., The John Charnley Award: "a study of implant failure in metal-on-metal surface arthroplasties". Clin Orthop Relat Res, 453:35-46, 2006.
- Beaule, B.E., Campbell, P., Lu. Z., Beck, M., Leunig M., Thomas, B., Ganz, R., "Vascularity of the arthritic femoral head and hip resurfacing". J Bone Joint Surg Am, 88 Suppl 4:85-96, 2006.
Link to My Pubmed Publications >