Francis J. Hornicek MD PhD
Francis Hornicek, MD, PhD
Chair, Orthopaedic Surgery
Professor, Orthopaedic Surgery
UCLA / Orthopaedic Institute for Children, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 1979 BA, Biology and Mathematics, Washington and Jefferson College, Washington, PA
- 1983 MS, PhD, Physics/Biophysics, Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- 1991 MD, Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
Bone and soft tissue tumors, and direct basic science and clinical research projects dealing with sarcoma.
AWARDS / INVENTIONS
- 1979 B.A. cum laude, Washington and Jefferson College
- 1980 Achievement Reward for College Scientists (ARCS) Award, Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- 1982 Achievement Reward for College Scientists (ARCS) Award, Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- 1983 Marshall, Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- 1986 Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, Society of Sigma Xi, University of Miami, Miami, FL
- 1999 Vision award, Systems Thinking Linkage, Lead role in transition from film to filmless – digital system and improving patient experience during radiology and clinic evaluation
- 2007 Brian McGovern Award For Clinical Excellence, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 2008 One Hundred, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Individual key role in Cancer Center
- 2009 One Hundred, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Multidisciplinary sarcoma group key role
- 2010 One Hundred, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Stephan L. Harris Chordoma Center and Iko Harris recognition
- 2010 Best Paper Award, Orthopaedic Research Society/American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- 2014 M.A. Honorary Award, Harvard University, Boston, MA
- 2016 Scientific Award, Orthopaedic Research Society/Journal of Orthopaedic Research, Most cited manuscript (Targeting CDK11 in osteosarcoma cells using CRISPR-cas9 system)
- 2017 CORR Richard A. Brand Outstanding Orthopaedic Research Award, Orthopaedic Research Society
- Duan Z, Hornicek Identification small molecular compound NSC23925 to reverse multidrug resistance in human cancer (filed by MGH and patent issued # 8802702).
- Currently being sold by Sigma Chemical Co.
- Duan Z, Hornicek F and Choy Identification of PITSLRE kinase as a potential therapeutic target for cancer treatment (filed by MGH and pending).
Link to My Pubmed Publications >