Health Sciences Adjunct Professor and Director of the Bone and Connective Tissue Healing Laboratory
The J. Vernon Luck, Sr. Orthopaedic Research Center
Orthopaedic Institute for Children,
J. Vernon Luck. Sr. Orthopaedic Research Center
403 W. Adams Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90007
- Han-Yang University, Seoul, Korea, Materials Engineering, BS, 1981
- Clemson University, Bioengineering, MS, 1985
- The University of Iowa, Biomedical Engineering, PhD, 1989
Dr. Park has focused his research on enhancing the methods for treating fractures, particularly the effects of weight bearing, electrical muscle stimulation, and lavage of an open fracture, and the effect of pneumatic compression on blood flow to the fracture and healing.
Contract research from various orthopaedic implant manufacturers.
Support from the Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital Foundation.
- The Austin T. Moore Award, Clemson University, 1986
- Zumberge Award, University of Southern California, 1993
- John Charnley Award, The Hip Society 1994
PUBLICATIONS (recent articles)
- Park, S.H., Cassim, A., Llinas, A., McKellop, H., Sarmiento. A. Technique for reproducing controlled, closed fractures in rabbit model. J. Orthop. Res. 12(4):732-736, 1994
- Park, S.H., O'Connor, K., McKellop, H., Sarmiento, A. The influence of active shear or compressive motion on fracture healing. J Bone and Joint Surg. 80(A) 6: 868-878, 1998
- Park, S.H., McKellop, H., Lu, B., Chan, F., Chiesa, R., Wear Morphology of Metal-Metal Implants: Hip Simulator Tests Compared with Clinical Retrievals. Alternative Bearing Surfaces in Total Joint Replacement, ASTM, STP 1346:129-143, American Society for Testing and Materials, 1998.
- Park, S.H., O'Connor, K., Sung, R., McKellop, H., Sarmiento, A. Comparison of healing processes in open osteotomy model and closed fracture model. J Orthop Trauma. 13(2):114-120, 1999
- Lovasz G, Park S.H., Ebramzadeh E, Benya PD, Llinas A, Bellyei A, Luck JV Jr, Sarmiento A. Characteristics of degeneration in an unstable knee with a coronal surface step-off. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2001 83(3):428-36
- Park, S.H., Silva, M., Park, J.S., Ebramzadeh, E., Schmalzried, T.P.: Cement-Cement interface strength: Influence of time of apposition. J. Biomat Mater Res (Applied Biomaterials) 58(6): 734-740, 2001
- Park, S.H., Silva, M., Bahk, W.J., McKellop, H., Lieberman, J., Effect of repeated irrigation and debridement on fracture healing in an animal model, J. Orthop. Res. 20(6): 1197-1204, 2002
- Park, S.H., O'Connor, K. McKellop, H.: Interaction between Active Motion and Exogenous Transforming Growth Factor Beta (TGF-?1) during Tibial Fracture Repair, J Orthop Trauma 17(1): 2-10, 2003
- Park, S.H., Silva M. Effect of pneumatic soft tissue compression of fracture healing in an animal model. J Bone Joint Surg 85A(8) 1446-1453, 2003
- Park, S.H. and Silva, M. Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation Enhances Fracture Healing: Results of an Animal Model. J Orthop Res 22(2) 382-387, 2004
- Park, S.H. Letter to the Editor: Shear movement at the fracture site delays healing in a diaphyseal fracture model. J Orthop Res 22(5) 1156-1157, 2004
- Beaulé, P., LeDuff, M., Campbell, P., Dorey, FJ., Park, SH., Amstutz, H. Metal-on-metal surface arthroplasty with a cemented femoral component. A 7-10 year follow-up study J Arthroplasty, 2004 Dec;19(8 Suppl 3):17-22.
- Balint L, Park SH, Bellyei A, Luck JV Jr, Sarmiento A, Lovasz G. Repair of steps and gaps in articular fracture models. Clin Orthop. 2005 Jan;(430):208-18.
- Hsu, WK., Sugiyama, OS., Park, SH., Conduah, A., Feeley, BT., Liu, NQ., Krenek, L., An, DS., Chen, IS., Lieberman JR: Lentiviral-mediated BMP-2 Gene Transfer Enhances Healing of Segmental Femoral Defects in Rats. Bone. 40(4):931-938, 2007
- Park, SH. and Silva, M. Intermittent Pneumatic Soft Tissue Compression Changes in Periosteal and Medullary Canal Blood Flow, J Orthop Res.26:570-577, 2008
- M. Virk, A. Conduah, SH. Park, N. Liu, O. Sugiyama, A. Cuomo, C. Kang, J. Lieberman. Influence of short-term adenoviral vector and prolonged lentiviral vector mediated bone morphogenetic protein-2 expression on the quality of bone repair in a rat femoral defect model. Bone, 42(5):921-931, 2008
- Sanjeev Suratwala, Samuel K. Cho, Jonathan van Raalte, Sang-Hyun Park, Sung Wook Seo, Seong-Sil Chang, Thomas R.Gardner, Francis Y. Lee: Enhancement of Periprosthetic Bone Quality with Topical Hydroxyapatite-Bisphosphonate Composite: An Experimental Study, J Bone Joint Surg 2008 Oct;90(10):2189-96
Link to My Pubmed Publications >