Sangiorgio, Sophia PhD
Health Sciences Adjunct Professor
Director, Biomechanics Laboratory
The J. Vernon Luck, Sr., MD Orthopaedic Research Center
Orthopaedic Institute for Children
403 W. Adams Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90007
- BS in Biomedical-Mechanical Engineering, USC, 2000
- BA in Liberal Arts, 3-2 Engineering Scripps College, 2000
- MS in Biomedical Engineering, UCLA, 2002
- PhD in Biomedical Engineering, UCLA, 2006
- Pediatric orthopaedic research: Biomechanical models include scoliosis deformity correction, fracture fixation, and clubfoot surgical procedures. Pediatric clinical outcome study design and analysis.
- Biomechanical evaluation, testing, design, and development of orthopaedic implants and prosthetic devices, including custom load simulators to evaluate joint replacement prostheses and fracture fixation devices
- Design and development of benchtop models to quantify mechanical strength, stability, fixation, micromotion and wear of orthopaedic implants and devices
Current and recent support includes grants and contracts from various orthopaedic implant manufacturers, NIH, and private research foundations.
AWARDS (Recent Honors)
- AAOS Best Poster in the Pediatrics Classification, selected by AAOS Central Committee: “Challenging the Standard for Pre-Clinical Testing of Deformity Correction Surgeries” presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, New Orleans, LA, 2014.
- "Editors' Choice" Top Nine publications selected by the ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering to represent their best publications of 2012: “Site-Specific Quantification of Bone Quality Using Highly Nonlinear Solitary Waves,” *ASME J. Biomech. Eng.
- Moderator, Knee Mechanics, Scientific Session at the annual meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society in San Antonio, TX, 2013.
- Finalist: John H. Moe Award for Best Basic Science Poster Presentation, Scoliosis Research Society 47th Annual Meeting & Course, Chicago, IL, October 2012
- G. June Marshall Award, Awarded by Orthopaedic Hospital at the Sixteenth Annual Orthopaedic Hospital Research Day, Los Angeles, California, 2007
- Finalist, 2007 Orthopaedic Research Society New Investigator Research Award, Project Title: “Proximal Stem Geometry is More Important to the Stability of Double-Tapered Cemented Femoral Stems than Surface Finish.”
- Top scored Adult Hip Reconstruction Poster, 2007 Orthopaedic Research Society, Project Title: “The Stability of Straight Cemented Femoral Stems as a Function of Surface Finish, Proximal Stem Geometry, and Interface Bonding Conditions.”
PUBLICATIONS (selected recent articles):
- Sangiorgio, S.N., Ebramzadeh, E., Borkowski,S.L., Oakes, D.A., Reid, J.J., Bengs, B.C.: “Effect of proximal femoral bone support on the fixation of a press-fit noncemented total hip replacement femoral component.” Journal of Applied Biomaterials and Functional Materials. Journal of Applied Biomaterials and Functional Materials; 2013;11(1):e26-34.
- Sangiorgio, SN, , Ebramzadeh, E, Knutsen, AR, Borkowski, SL, Kalma, JJ, Bengs, BC: “Fixation of Non-Cemented Total Hip Arthroplasty Femoral Components in a Simulated Proximal Bone Defect Model,” Journal of Arthroplasty, 2013 Oct; 28(9):1618-24.23.
- Sangiorgio, SN, , Borkowski, SL, Bowen, R, Scaduto, AA, Frost, NL, Ebramzadeh, E: “Quantification of increase in 3-Dimensional spine flexibility following sequential Ponte osteotomies in a cadaveric model.” Spine Deformity, 2013; Vol. 1, (3):171-178.
- Ebramzadeh E, Knutsen AR, Sangiorgio SN, , Brambila M, Harris TG.: “Biomechanical Comparison of Syndesmotic Injury Fixation Methods using a Cadaveric Model.” Foot and Ankle International, 2013 Dec; 34(12):1710-7.
- Knutsen, AR, Avoian, T, Borkowski, SL, Ebramzadeh, E, Zionts, LE, Sangiorgio, SN, : Accuracy of Radiographs in Assessment of Displacement in Lateral Humeral Condyle Fractures.” J Child Orthop (2014) 8:83–89.
- Borkowski, S.L., Ebramzadeh, E., Sangiorgio, S.N., , Masri, S.F.: “Application of the restoring force method for identification of lumbar spine flexion-extension motion under flexion-extension moment.,” J Biomech Eng. 2014 Apr;136(4).
- Knutsen, A.R., Ebramzadeh, E., Longjohn,D.B., Sangiorgio, S.N., , “Systematic analysis of bisphosphonate intervention on periprosthetic BMD as a function of stem design.” J Arthroplasty. 2014 Jun;29(6):1292-7.
- Sangiorgio, SN, , Mukherjee, AK, Lau, NW, Mukherhee, A, Mukhopadhyay, P, Ebramzadeh, E: “Optimization of Physical Activity as a Countermeasure of Bone Loss: A 5 Year Study of Bikram Yoga Practice in Females,” Health. 2014,Vol.6 No.11.
- Borkowski, SL, Sangiorgio, SN,, Bowen, R, Scaduto, AA, Kwak,J., Ebramzadeh, E "Flexibility of Thoracic Spines Under Simultaneous Multi-Planar Loading".” European Spine Journal. 2014 Aug 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ebramzadeh, E., Campbell, P.A., Tan, T., Nelson, S.D., Sangiorgio, S.N., , “Can Wear Explain the Histological Variation around Metal-on-Metal Total Hips?” Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2015 Feb;473(2):487-94.
- Borkowski, S.L., Sangiorgio, S.N., , Ebramzadeh, E., Masri, S.F.: “An Alternative Measurement Tool for the Identification of Hysteretic Responses in Biological Joints” J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2014 Nov; 39:270-8.
- Zionts, L.E., Packer, D., Cooper, S., Ebramzadeh, E., Sangiorgio, S.N., : “Walking Age in Infants with Idiopathic Clubfoot Treated Using the Ponseti Method,” 2014, J Bone and Joint Surgery. 2014;96:e164(1-6).
- Knutsen, A.R., Avoian, T., Sangiorgio, S.N., , Borkowski, S.L., Ebramzadeh, E., Zionts, L.E.: “Quantifying Anterior Tibialis Tendon Transfer Methods for Clubfoot Correction.” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2015 May;473 (5):1737-43.
- Hollister, S.J., Flanagan, C.L., Zopf, D.A., Morrison, R.J., Hassan, N, Patel, J.J., Ebramzadeh, E., Sangiorgio, S.N., , Wheeler, M.B., Green, G. E.: “Design Control for Clinical Translation of 3D Printed Modular Scaffolds” Ann Biomed Eng. Ann Biomed Eng. 2015 Mar;43(3):774-86.
- Tan, T., Borkowski, S.L., Sangiorgio, S.N., , Campbell, P.A., Ebramzadeh, E.: “Imaging Criteria for the Quantification of Disc Degeneration: A Systematic Review,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Reviews. 2015 Feb; 3 (2): e2.
- Niesen, M.C., Wong, J., SooHoo, N.F., Eckardt, J.,Luck, J.V., Ebramzadeh, E., Sangiorgio, S.N., , “Orthopaedic Surgery Fellowships: The Effects of Interviewing on Residents and a Proposed Change to the System,” Orthopedics, 2015 Mar 1;38(3):175-9.
- Zionts, L.E., Sangiorgio, S.N., , Cooper, S.D., Ebramzadeh, E.: “Does Clubfoot Treatment Need to Begin As Soon As Possible?” J Pediatr Orthop. 2015 Apr 30. [Epub ahead of print]
- Knutsen, A.R., Borkowski, S.L., Ebramzadeh, E., Flanagan, C.L., Hollister, S.J., Sangiorgio, S.N., : “Static and Dynamic Fatigue Behavior of Topology Designed and Conventional 3D Printed Bioresorbabale PCL Cervical Interbody Fusion Devices,” J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2015 May 27;49:332-342.
- Zionts, L.E., Jew, M.H., Ebramzadeh, E., Sangiorgio, S.N., ,”The Influence of Sex and Laterality on Clubfoot Severity,” J Pediatr Orthop. 2015 Jul 24. [Epub ahead of print]
Link to My PubMed Publications >