There are many opportunities for residents to pursue various scholarly activities throughout their training. The department is committed to supporting each individual’s scientific interests by providing meaningful mentorship and access to a broad range of resources. Most of our residents are actively engaged in research projects, and many have gone on to present their work at national conferences and publish manuscripts in high-impact journals. A selection of experiences below highlights the extensive productivity of our residents.
USCAP 2018 (from left to right) Drs. Robert Atienza,
Bita Naini, Cherise Meyerson, and Jason Scapa
AABB 2018 Dr. Precious Fortes
USCAP 2019 (from left to right) Drs. Christine Lee and Neda Moatamed
ASDP 2019 Dr. Sofia Liou
USCAP 2020 Dr. Teresa Kim
USCAP 2020 Dr. Yipeng Geng
Research and Publications
- Stanzione N, Ahmed T, Fung PC, Lu DY, Sumida L, Moatamed N. The continual impact of The Paris System on urine cytology, a three year experience. Cytopathology: 2019 Oct. PMID: 31596979.
- Choate EA, Nobori A, Worswick S. Cutaneous metastasis of internal tumors. Dermatol Clin: 2019 Oct. PMID: 31466594.
- Strobel KM, Crane JN, Bradford KL, Naeini Y, May WA, Chang VY. Burkitt-like lymphoma in a pediatric patient with familial adenomatous polyposis. Cancer Genet: 2019 Sep. PMID: 31520998.
- Kassardjian A, Stanzione N, Wang H. Impact of Changes in the American Joint Committee on Cancer Staging Manual Eighth Edition for Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma. Pancreas: 2019 Aug. PMID: 31268985.
- Kwong S, Meyerson C, Zheng W, Kassardjian A, Stanzione N, Zhang K, Wang H. Acute Hepatitis and Acute Liver Failure: Pathologic Diagnosis and Differential Diagnosis. Semin Diagn Pathol: 2019 July. PMID: 31405537
- Parks R, Kim CJ, Al-Safi ZA, Armstrong AA, Zore T, Moatamed NA. Multiple myeloma 1 transcription factor is superior to CD138 as a marker of plasma cells in endometrium. IntJ Surg Pathol: 2019 Jun. PMID: 30482071.
- Chu A, Najafzadeh P, Sullivan P, Cone B, et al. Aldehyde dehydrogenase isoforms and inflammatory cell population are differentially expressed in term human placentas affected by intrauterine growth restriction. Placenta: 2019 Jun. PMID: 31138432.
- Lawson KL, Wong V, Finn JP, Fishbein GA. Intraesophageal aortopulmonary collateral artery occlusion in an infant with tetralogy of Fallot and flow-dependent major aortopulmonary collateral arteries. Cardiovasc Pathol: 2019 Mar-Apr. PMID: 30731330.
- Arcega RS, Woo JS, Xu H. Performing and cutting frozen sections. Methods Mol Biol: 2019. PMID: 30539452.
- Woo JS, Lu DY. Procurement, transportation, and storage of saliva, buccal swab, and oral wash specimens. Methods Mol Biol: 2019. PMID: 30539438.
- Arboleda VA, Xian RR. An overview of DNA analytical methods. Methods Mol Biol: 2019. PMID: 30539459.
- Kassardjian A, Shintaku PI, Moatamed NA. Moatamed. Expression of immune checkpoint regulators, cytotoxic T lymphocyte antigen 4 (CTLA-4) and programmed death-ligand 1 (PD-L1), in female breast carcinomas. PLoS One. 2018 Apr 19;13(4):e0195958.
- Zhang K, Meyerson C, Kassardjian A, Westbrook LM, Zheng W, and Hanlin L. Wang. Goblet Cell Carcinoid: An Update. Adv Anat Pathol. 2019 Mar; 26(2):75-83.
- Shenoy K, Stanzione N, Caron J, Fishbein G, Hirschowitz S, et al. Midline Carcinoma Expressing NUT in Malignant Effusion Cytology. Diagnostic Cytopathology June 2019. 47(6):594-598. PMID: 30734527.
- Kassardjian A, Stanzione N, Wang H. Comparative Accuracy of Preoperative Tumor Size Assessment and T-Stage Analysis by Imaging Modalities Versus Gross Pathologic Size in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma. Pancreas February 2019. 48(2):223-227. PMID: 30629023.
- Magaki S, Park R, Vinters HV, Khanlou N. A 44 yearold female with familial Mediterranean fever, cardiomyopathy and end stage renal disease. Brain Pathol: 2019 Mar. PMID: 30821026.
- Koo M, Squires JM, Ying d, Huang J. Making a tissue microarray. Methods Mol Biol. 2019. PMID: 30539455.
- Pope A, Stanzione N, Wozniak L, Naini B, et al. Esophageal IgG4: A Potential Marker of Eosinophilic Esophagitis. JPGN December 2018. 68(5):689-694. PMID: 30540707.
- Datkhaeva I, Arboleda VA, Senaratne TN, Nikpour G, Meyerson C, Geng Y, et al. Identification of novel PIERZO1 variants using prenatal exome sequencing and correlation to ultrasound and autopsy findings of recurrent hydrops fetalis. Am J Med Genet A: 2018 Dec. PMID: 30244526.
- Lee CM, Moh M, Sullivan PS, Moatamed NA. An unusual adenomatoid tumor of fibria with pronounced psammoma bodies in BRCA positive patient as a pitfall for carcinoma on frozen section. Case Rep Pathol: 2018 Nov. PMID: 30538879.
- Daraiseh SI, Kassardjian A, Alexander K, Rizkallah R, Hurt M. c-Abl Phosphorylation of Yin Yang 1's Conserved Tyrosine 254 in the Spacer Region Modulates its Transcriptional Activity. BBA Molecular Cell Research: 2018 Sep;1865(9):1173-1186
- Scapa JV, Fishbein GA, Wallace WD, Fishebin MC. Diffuse alveolar hemorrhage and pulmonary vasculitidies: histopathologic findings. Semin Respir Crit Carae Med: 2018 Aug. PMID: 30404110.
- Alle N, Tan N, Huss J, Huang J, Pantuck A, Raman SS. Percutaneous image-guided core biopsy of solid renal masses: analysis of safety, efficacy, pathologic interpretation, and clinical significance. AbdomRadiol: 2018 Jul. PMID: 29079986.
- Guerra MR, Naini BV, Scapa JV, et al. Obliterative portal venopathy: a histopathologic finding associated with chronic antibody-mediated rejection in pediatric liver allografts. PediatrTransplant: 2018 Mar. PMID: 29363222.
- Naeini YB, Arcega R, Hirschowitz S, Rao N, Xu H. Post-irradiation pericardial malignant mesothelioma with deletion of p16: a case report. Cancer Biol Med: 2018 Feb. PMID: 29545973.
- Koo M, Lipshutz GS, Cederbaum SD, Lassman C. Biopsy-proven hepatocellular carcinoma in a 53 year old woman with arginase deficiency. Pediatr Dev Pathol: 2017 Nov-Dec. PMID: 29187023.
- Zuckerman JE, Moatamed NA. Sertoli-Leydig cell tumor of the ovary masquerading as a mucinous adenocarcinoma: a frozen section pitfall. Rare Tumors: 2017 Oct. PMID: 29081925.
- Arboleda VA, Garner OB. Ensuring the Quality of Point-of-Care Testing in a Large and Decentralized Ambulatory Care Setting. Am J Clin Pathol: 2017 Oct. PMID: 28967953.
- Woo JS, Reddy OL, Koo M, Xiong Y, Li F, Xu H. Application of immunohistochemistry in the diagnosis of pulmonary and pleural neoplasms. Arch Pathol Lab Med: 2017 Sep. PMID: 28644685.
- Gaut D, Cone B, Gregson AL, Agopian VG. Gastrointestinal mucormycosis after orthotopicliver transplantation presenting as femoral nerve palsy: a case report and review of the literature. Transplant Proc: 2017 Sept. PMID: 28755897.
- Han M, Afshar Y, Chon AH, Scibetta E, Rao R, Meyerson C, Chmair RH. Pseudoamniotic band syndrome post fetal thracoamniotic shunting for bilateral hydrothorax. Fetal Pediatr Pathol: 2017 Aug. PMID: 28453379.
- Reddy OL, Shintaku PI, Moatamed NA. Programmed death-ligand 1 (PD-L1) is expressed in a significant number of uterine cervical carcinomas. Diagn Pathol: 2017 Jun. PMID: 28623908.
- Ye Q, Woo JS, Zhao Q, Wang P, Huang P, Chen L, Li X, Yong Y, Sung-Eun Tang S, Rao J. Fine-needle aspiration versus frozen section in the evaluation of malignancy thyroid nodules in patients with the diagnosis of suspicious for malignancy or malignancy by fine-needle aspiration. Arch Pathol Lab Med: 2017 May. PMID: 28447904.
- Koo M, Ohgami RS. Pediatric-type follicular lymphoma and pediatric nodal marginal zone lymphoma: recent clinical, morphologic, immunophenotypic, and genetic insights. Adv Anat Pathol: 2017 May. PMID: 28277421.
- Shabihkhani M, Telesca D, Movassaghi M, Naeini YB, et al. Incidence, survival, pathology, and genetics of adult Latino Americans with glioblastoma. J Neurooncol: 2017 Apr. PMID: 28161760.
- Shabsovich D, Schiller G, Naeini Y, Collins R, Tirado CA. Novel cytogenetic findings in a case of mixed phenotype acute leukemia within the context of a complex karyotype. J Assoc Genet Technol: 2017. PMID: 28459703.
- Naeini YB, Wu A, O’Malley DP. Aggressive B-cell lymphomas: frequency, immunophenotype, and genetics in a reference laboratory population. Ann Diagn Pathol: 2016 Dec. PMID: 27806850.
- Woo JS, Apple SK, Sullivan PS, Rao JY, Ostrzega N, Moatamed NA. Systematic assessment of HER2/neu in gynecologic neoplasms, an institutional experience. Diagn Pathol: 2016 Oct. PMID: 27770810.
- Finck R, Ziman A, Hoffman M, Phan-Tang M, Yuan S. Motivating factors and potential deterrants to blood donation in high school aged blood donors. J Blood Transfus: 2016. PMID: 27293985.
- Woo JS, Fishbein MC, Reemsten B. Histologic examination of decellularized porcine intestinal submucosa extracellular matric (CorMatrix) in pediatric congenital heart surgery. Cardiovasc Pathol: 2016 Jan-Feb. PMID: 26453090.
- Lee PM, Siangchin K, Song S, Shabsovich D, Naeini Y, Tirado CA. An Adult Male Presenting with Concurrent Plasma Cell Myeloma Involving a CCND1-IGH Translocation and Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia with a Variant (9;22) Translocation. J Assoc Genet Technol: 2016. PMID: 27584682.
- Reddy OL, Cates JM, Gellert LL, et al. Loss of FOXA1 drives sexually dimorphic changes in urothelial differentiation and is an independent predictor of poor prognosis in bladder cancer. Am J Pathol: 2015 May. PMID: 25907831.
- Horvath S, Mah V, Lu At, Woo JS, et al. The cerebellum ages slowly according to the epigenetic clock. Aging: 2015 May. PMID: 26000617.
- Arboleda VA, Lee S. Lymphoma and gout coexisting in the same joint fluid. Blood: 2015 May. PMID: 26171482.
- Woo JS, Perez-Rosendahl M, Haydel D, Perens G, Fishbein MC. A novel association of biventricular cardiac noncompaction and diabetic embryopathy: case report and review of the literature. Pediatr Dev Pathol: 2015 Jan-Feb. PMID: 25386687.
*UCLA trainee’s names are bolded
Below are several resources available to residents:
- Translational Research Fund (TRF): The purpose of the Translational Research Fund (TRF) is to help prepare and support Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology UCLA Faculty-initiated research, with particular focus on translational projects and to foster greater involvement by UCLA pathology residents and fellows in research projects.
- Ruzic Award for Cancer Innovation: Pathologists play a central role in the management of cancer. Innovation in diagnostics has led to the development of new treatments and improvement of prognostic stratification. These include the discovery of cytogenetic abnormalities, immunohistochemical markers, and recent advances in genome-wide techniques. In recognition of these exciting new developments in the field, we announce that the Department has recently received an award for innovation in cancer research for residents and fellows in training. Prize includes seed money for academic purposes.
- Daljit S. and Elaine Sarkaria Fellowship: This fellowship is awarded annually to recognize an outstanding resident or clinical fellow committed to clinical innovation and/or disease research. Candidates for this fellowship are drawn from eligible residents and clinical fellows of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. The term of the appointment will be for a period of one year. Prize includes seed money for academic purposes.