Donating blood is safe. The UCLA Blood & Platelet Center takes the following safety measures to help protect our staff and donors:
- Donor center access is limited to individuals with appointments who are not accompanied by others.
- Walk-in donors will be accommodated only when capacity allows for appropriate social distancing.
- The UCLA Blood & Platelet Center has implemented universal masking, in addition to social distancing protocols.
- For donors who are at increased risk for COVID-19, we enforce donor self-deferral.
- Donors must wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before and after donation.
- We give donors more space during the entire process by increasing the distance between donors in the screening, collection and refreshment areas.
- The UCLA Blood & Platelet Center follows procedures for cleaning and disinfecting all areas and increase the frequency, such as cleaning the donor bed and other surfaces in the collection area after each donor.
- We’ve increased the frequency for cleaning and disinfecting the donor screening and refreshment areas, restrooms, doorknobs and other surfaces.
- We empty waste bins frequently.
- We provide our donors individually wrapped snacks and drinks.
- UCLA staff follow UCLA COVID-19 policy and must stay home from work if they are sick.
Learn more about AABB Donor Center Focus on Safety.