Neil H. Bhayani, MD
Dr. Neil Bhayani is the Director of Liver, Pancreatic and Complex Cancer Surgery as well as Director of Reflux and Esophageal Surgery at the Association of South Bay Surgeons. He was also elected Chair of the Liver, Pancreas and Gastrointestinal Cancer Program at Torrance Memorial Medical Center. His busy practice includes major abdominal cancer operations and gastric and esophageal surgery weekly. He is genuinely interested in caring for patients with complex cancers, reflux, and abdominal problems using the newest minimally invasive techniques. Having had 3 years of extra training beyond General Surgery, Dr. Bhayani uses laparoscopic surgery to reduce pain and speed up recovery after major pancreatic, liver, stomach and esophageal surgery. He regularly collaborates in clinical research projects with researchers nationwide to directly improve patient care. Dr. Neil Bhayani has been voted a "Top Doctor" by LA Magazine.
Dr. Neil Bhayani grew up in Buffalo, NY before attending the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He was given the Program Director's award in surgical residency at Howard University Hospital and subsequently earned a Masters of Health Sciences from The Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health in 2011. Dr. Bhayani completed 2 advanced fellowships in Complex Gastrointestinal & Minimally Invasive Surgery at the Providence Cancer Center in Portland, OR and in Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Surgery & Surgical Oncology at Penn State Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA.
During his academic career, he was invited to write more than 5 book chapters on gastroparesis, anti-reflux surgery, liver surgery, hepatocellular cancer, and pancreatic cancers. In addition, he has contributed nearly 50 peer-reviewed research articles to advance the field of complex cancer surgery, pancreatic and liver surgery, and gastro-esophageal surgery.
Medical Board Certification
- Esophageal Motility & Reflux
- Cancers of the Esophagus/Stomach/Liver/Bile Ducts/Pancreas/Small Bowel/Colon
- Abdominal Wall Hernias
- Complex Abdominal Wall Reconstruction
- Minimally Invasive/Laparoscopic Surgery
- Endoscopic & NOTES Surgery
- Advanced GI Surgery
- Super Doctors® Southern California 2022
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2021
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2020
- Physician of the Month, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, 2012
- Travel Award, National Pancreas Foundation, 2012
- Program Director's Award, Howard University Department of Surgery, 2010
- Invited Speaker, National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine, 2008-2010
- Invited Speaker, National Student Leadership Conference, 2007-2009
- Research Award, Howard University Hospital, 2008
- House Staff Service Award, Howard University Hospital, 2007
- Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Medical Honor Society, 2001
- Cum Laude, 1997