Verna R. Porter, MD
This physician is an affiliate of the UCLA Medical Group but is not employed by UCLA.
Specializing in the care of patients with dementia, memory disorders, and neurocognitive decline.
Director of Clinical Program
UCLA Mary S. Easton Alzheimer's Disease Research Program
Patient StoriesIt has taken "a village" of incredibly competent doctors and medical personnel to care for our needs
Medical Board Certification
Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, 2000
UCLA School of Medicine, 2000
UCLA School of Medicine, 1998
UCLA School of Medicine, 1995
UCLA School of Medicine, MD, 1994
Alzheimer's disease (interest area in the immunological aspects of Alzheimer's disease).
- Sleep, Cognition and Dementia. Porter VR, Buxton WG, Avidan AY. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2015 Dec;17(12):97. doi: 10.1007/s11920-015-0631-8. PMID: 26478197
- ω-3 Supplementation increases amyloid-β phagocytosis and resolvin D1 in patients with minor cognitive impairment. Fiala M, Halder RC, Sagong B, Ross O, Sayre J, Porter V, Bredesen DE. FASEB J. 2015 Jul;29(7):2681-9. doi: 10.1096/fj.14-264218. Epub 2015 Mar 24. PMID: 25805829
- A novel PSEN1 mutation (I238M) associated with early-onset Alzheimer's disease in an African-American woman. Ting SK, Benzinger T, Kepe V, Fagan A, Coppola G, Porter V, Hecimovic S, Chakraverty S, Alvarez-Retuerto AI, Goate A, Ringman JM. J Alzheimers Dis. 2014;40(2):271-5. doi: 10.3233/JAD-131844. PMID: 24413619 Free PMC
- A trial of imaging selection and endovascular treatment for ischemic stroke. Kidwell CS, Jahan R, Gornbein J, Alger JR, Nenov V, Ajani Z, Feng L, Meyer BC, Olson S, Schwamm LH, Yoo AJ, Marshall RS, Meyers PM, Yavagal DR, Wintermark M, Guzy J, Starkman S, Saver JL; MR RESCUE Investigators. N Engl J Med. 2013 Mar 7;368(10):914-23. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1212793. Epub 2013 Feb 8. PMID: 23394476
- Oral curcumin for Alzheimer's disease: tolerability and efficacy in a 24-week randomized, double blind, placebocontrolled study. Ringman JM, Frautschy SA, Teng E, Begum AN, Bardens J, Beigi M, Gylys KH, Badmaev V, Heath DD, Apostolova LG, Porter V, Vanek Z, Marshall GA, Hellemann G, Sugar C, Masterman DL, Montine TJ, Cummings JL, Cole GM. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2012 Oct 29;4(5):43. doi: 10.1186/alzrt146. eCollection 2012. PMID: 23107780 Free PMC Article
- Agitation and psychosis associated with dementia with Lewy bodies exacerbated by modafinil use. Prado E, Paholpak P, Ngo M, Porter V, Apostolova LG, Marrocos R, Ringman JM. Am J Alzheimers Dis Other Demen. 2012 Nov;27(7):468-73. doi: 10.1177/1533317512456450. Epub 2012 Aug 14. Review. PMID: 22892657
- Delineating Alzheimer's disease progression with MGAT3, a biomarker for improved prognosis and personalized therapy. Fiala M, Porter V. Biomark Med. 2011 Oct;5(5):645-7. doi: 10.2217/bmm.11.64. No abstract available. PMID: 22003913 Free Article
- MGAT3 mRNA: a biomarker for prognosis and therapy of Alzheimer's disease by vitamin D and curcuminoids. Fiala M, Mahanian M, Rosenthal M, Mizwicki MT, Tse E, Cho T, Sayre J, Weitzman R, Porter V. J Alzheimers Dis. 2011;25(1):135-44. doi: 10.3233/JAD-2011-101950. PMID: 21368380
- 2018 Los Angeles Magazine Top Doctors
- Fellow in the American Neurological Association (FANA) I since 2013. This distinguished title is awarded to individuals who have attained the rank of Associated Clinical Professor, and who have made contributions that have enriched the field of neurology which attests to the nominee’s ability as an investigator and educator whose work has clear implications for neurological disease.
- Subspecialty board certification (United Council of Neurologic Subspecialties) in Behavioral Neurology and Neuropsychiatry (November 2012-November, 2022; certification: BNNP00494-12).
- Listed (2011-2016 editions) in the Southern California Super Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine (features top five percent of doctors in Los Angeles and Orange counties) superdoctors.com.
- Dr. Porter also appeared in the 2010-2015 editions of the Los Angeles Magazine, Top Doctors. She was also selected as a Top Neurologist in Santa Monica, CA by the International Association of Healthcare Professionals (IAHCP) (2011-2015) in addition to inclusion in Top Women Southern California Super Doctors (2011-2016). I have also been named as a Leading Physician in the World (2011-2016) by the International Association of HealthCare Professionals (IAHCP) which is comprised of over 100 different medical societies.