The Safety Department oversees the Hazardous Materials Program to ensure that hazardous waste is disposed of properly. Here is some information that can help clarify how to dispose of various types of hazardous waste:
Did you know that we include recycling methods for our hazardous materials processes as much as possible?
- The sharps containers used at the hospital are re-usable. The contents are sent for incineration (purple top containers) or steam treatment (red and white containers), while the container is cleaned and sent back to UCLA.
- Batteries and fluorescent tubes are sent to recycling facilities to reclaim as much of the materials as possible for re-use and recycling.
Submit a Support Services Request to EVS when you are in a hospital area or hospital based clinic and need the following waste picked up:
- Trace chemo (yellow container)
- Hazardous pharmaceuticals (black container)
- Sharps Containers
- Biohazardous waste (red container)
- Electronic waste
Submit a Support Services Request to Safety for (choose "other"):
- Other types of hazardous waste evaluations & pick-ups (example: mercury)
- Training or in-service requests
- Additional battery recycling containers
Support Services Center Website: www.ssc.mednet.ucla.edu/ssc
For household hazardous waste, please refer to: the UCLA S.A.F.E. Center for proper disposal options. For other S.A.F.E. Collection Centers within the city and county of Los Angeles, click here.