Our physicians and researchers have made major advances in kidney transplant and transplant of other organs. This active research program gives our patients opportunities to access the newest advances in kidney transplant therapeutics.
Kidney Transplant Research at UCLA
We are always engaged in groundbreaking clinical trials and research. Our innovations in kidney transplantation include:
- Minimizing rejection: We have developed new treatments to minimize the risk of organ rejection.
- Expanding the kidney donor pool: Our experience in living donor kidney transplant makes our program one of the most exciting in terms of expanding the pool of potential kidney donors.
- Treatments for desensitization: We offer cutting-edge treatments to overcome recurrent disease, such as focal segmental glomerulosclerosis (FSGS).
- Immunological testing: Our leading Immunogenetics Center offers the most up-to-date immunological testing.
Ongoing Innovations in Kidney Transplant at UCLA
At UCLA, innovation never stops. We collaborate with other centers to study kidney transplantation, as well as other research. Our current work in this area includes:
- Continually evaluating new medications that are coming to market to see if they can improve patient care
- Searching for molecular biomarkers that could serve as diagnostic tools and possibly single out those patients at higher risk for organ rejection, enabling early intervention
- Leading the development of ways to reduce the risk of complications
- Innovating research in steroid withdrawal protocols
- Searching for less-toxic medications, including steroid-free immunosuppressive drugs