At UCLA, not only are we the leading lung transplant center on the West Coast, we also work proactively with referring physicians. Together, we can create a health care continuum that provides consistent care for your patients with serious lung failure, or heart and lung failure.
To Refer a Patient or Receive Answers
UCLA physicians are available to consult with you regarding patient care opportunities or referral. We offer several ways to reach us:
Why Choose UCLA for Patients Who Need Lung or Heart-Lung Transplant?
We offer one of the largest and most successful programs in the Western U.S. for the following:
- Lung transplant
- Heart transplant
- Heart/lung transplant
Physicians consistently seek out our UCLA surgeons to care for a wide range of cases, including the most challenging.
Our highlights include:
- Top hospital: UCLA Health consistently ranks among the top five hospitals in the nation, and the Best in the West, according to U.S. News & World Report's annual Best Hospitals survey.
- Outstanding outcomes:
- Our patient outcomes for lung transplant have remained consistently exceptional since our program's inception in 1990. Our one-year patient survival rates are 93 percent, according to the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients - notable given that we routinely take on complex cases.
- Our one-month, one-year and three-year graft and patient survival rates regularly rank at or above national standards.
- We have the greatest experience in the U.S. with lung transplantation in higher-risk patients, including those with scleroderma and coronary artery disease.
Specialists in Difficult Pulmonary Failure and Lung Transplant Cases
In addition to our surgical expertise in lung transplant, our team offers specialized care for the most challenging lung failure patients. That group includes those who require evaluation, in the context of their lung disease, for the latest treatment and research:
- "Breathing lung" transplant: We performed the first "breathing lung" transplant and continue to lead the clinical trial of the Organ Care System (OCS) technology. Read more about breathing lung transplant at UCLA.
- Strong multivisceral transplant experience: We are experts in all areas of solid organ transplant.
- Specialty pulmonary programs: Our lung specializations include the following:
- Advanced lung disease: One of the few integrated programs in the country
- Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and pulmonary arterial hypertension: One of the largest programs in the U.S.
- Cystic fibrosis: Leading expertise for adults and children, through Mattel Children's Hospital UCLA's accredited cystic fibrosis program, with expertise extending into adulthood
- Pulmonary vascular diseases characterized by pulmonary hypertension
- Collagen vascular disease
- History of heart surgery
- Older age
Meet our team >