Expert Second Opinion for Kidney Transplantation
Get a Second Opinion for Kidney Transplantation. Call 833-UCLA-URO (833-825-2876)
Second opinions for kidney disease and renal transplantation at UCLA Urology
The UCLA Urology Telemedicine Expert Second Opinion Program offers patients around the country access to our faculty, who are national leaders in all aspects of Urology. At UCLA we have doctors who specialize in kidney transplantation and are committed to innovation to make transplants available to more people. In fact, the UCLA Kidney Transplant Program is one of the largest, most successful, and highly respected programs in the country.
If you have received a diagnosis of end-stage kidney disease, you should consider getting an expert second opinion at UCLA because we offer:
- Long-term care: Kidney transplantation is widely recognized as an effective therapeutic option for the treatment of end-stage renal disease. At UCLA, we continue to care for you long after your transplant surgery is complete.
- Living donor kidney transplant: As the national waiting list for a deceased donor kidney continues to grow every year, the UCLA Kidney Transplant Program offers you the option of exploring a living related kidney transplant. For a living donor kidney transplant, surgeons remove one kidney from a living donor and transplant it in the recipient. The greatest advantage of living donation is that the kidney tends to have more immediate function, lasts longer than a kidney from a deceased donor and greatly decreases the amount of time the recipient needs to wait for transplant to occur, particularly in California.
- “Chain” donations: UCLA Urology physicians were instrumental in creating “Chain” donations for kidney transplant. A kidney donor chain starts with an altruistic donor and eventually creates opportunities for endless recipient-donor pairings by using a specialized computer program that matches donors and recipients across the country.
- Team approach: The UCLA Kidney Transplant Program pioneered the idea of medical and surgical specialists working in unison to treat advanced kidney disease, with the close collaboration of our Nephrology and Urology teams serving as a model for other programs worldwide.
- Telemedicine second opinion: You can have access to kidney transplant specialists at an academic medical center without having to travel.
For more information about how an expert second opinion at UCLA works and how to make an appointment >
Note: This service is NOT intended for medical emergencies. If you have a medical emergency, please immediately call your local emergency service phone number, or go to your nearest hospital, emergency room, or urgent care clinic.