Non-Clinical UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Program
COVID-19 UPDATE: Due to the current situation, responses may be delayed or take longer. In accordance and support with the campus and health sciences guidelines, please see the following impacts and/or effect:
- Pre-Screening Applications for Non-Clinical Volunteer Programs will resume and will be reviewed CASE BY CASE and may require higher level review.
- On-Boarding Appointments and Final Session Orientations will be held remotely.
- Remote volunteering (restrictions apply) are optional for those eligible and have completed the clearance process. (VPN access are not permitted)
- Effective June 1, ROP approval is not required for in-person volunteering under the Non-Clinical Program.
The Non-Clinical UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Program is distinct and separate from the hospital-based volunteer program.
The Non-Clinical UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Program provides the on-boarding and clearances for invited students and other eligible individuals to participate in non-clinical research/laboratory projects, administrative projects, and/or educational endeavored volunteer programs. Invitation and eligibility into the program is at the discretion of these departments and the UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Office. Priority will be given to UCLA undergraduates.
Research volunteer opportunities are geared towards undergraduate students as a learning opportunity, and for an introductory research experience, as well as to supplement their pre-health curriculum on the Health Sciences campus under the close supervision of our faculty and staff.
Please note, we do not recruit for the health sciences volunteer programs, and students must be invited by a faculty member or an approved staff sponsor to participate.
Please review the Volunteer Eligibility Requirements before proceeding with the clearance process.
- "Non-Clinical Activities": activities that will NOT involve ANY of the following:
- Patient or human research subject contact/interaction
- Access to or handle any identifiable/clinical/medical information
- Perform any duties involving activity within clinical settings and areas (i.e. hospital, clinics, waiting rooms, etc.)
To Start, follow the Pre-Screening Process to ensure eligibility
- Before Proceeding: Your inviting faculty/supervisors should read the Volunteer Guidelines.
- Step 1: Required Assignment Forms (Non-Clinical)
- Your inviting faculty/supervisor must provide you with the completed and signed the Non-Clinical Required Assignment Forms. Forms must be submitted online, please ensure you have your forms intact in the following files and format:
Required Form #1 (One PDF File): Scope of Duties Form and its addendum forms (click here for the forms)
Please contact the coordinator at NCV@mednet.ucla.edu for assistance with creating your form and its addendum forms into one PDF.
Required Form #2 (One PDF File): Personal Device Form (click here for the forms)
SRP Required Form #3 (only if you are enrolling in SRP for the assignment, one PDF File): Signed COPY of your UCLA SRP Contract
STEP 2: Submit your Online Pre-Screening Application
- If you need Adobe Reader to open PDF (Portable Document Format) files, please see free software from Adobe's webpage: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
- Once you have your completed Required Assignment Forms, you must submit an Online Pre-Screening Application and upload the Required Assignment Forms: ONLINE PRE-SCREENING APPLICATION (https://volunteer.healthsciences.ucla.edu/)
- Once submitted, the forms will be reviewed. If you or your supervisor do not receive a response email within 3 business days, please follow up via email.
- Note: If the form is missing ANY information (unanswered questions) or requires clarifications/revisions, the inviting supervisor will be contacted to clarify and respond. The approval process for the form will be delayed as completed forms are approved first.
After Submission of the Form
For any additional questions NOT listed in our FAQs, please contact the UCLA Health Sciences Volunteer Office.