The UCLA Health Auxiliary sponsors student scholarship awards every year. Each student volunteer (undergraduate level or higher) must complete 150 service hours in a calendar year (from January to December) in order to be eligible. Students have to be in a hands-on patient service position in the hospital to qualify. SRP and research students are not eligible. Previous winners may not apply a second time. We have created this website to answer many common questions and to provide you with a timeline of deadlines. Please refer to the FAQs section; if you have any further questions that are not addressed you may contact Silva Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 267-8186.
How to Apply
- Complete application: Click here to download application
- Get letter of recommendation OR have Volunteer Recommendation Form completed by one of your volunteer supervisors.
- Submit one school transcript (does not need to be official). If you have attended more than one institution, you should submit one for each facility.
- All documents (application, recommendation letter OR form, and unofficial transcript) must be submitted in person by Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 3PM to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center located at 757 Westwood Plaza, Suite B791, Los Angeles, CA 90095. Office hours are Mon-Fri, 9AM-4PM.
Important Dates for Auxiliary Student Volunteer Awards
- Thursday, February 20, 2020
- Tuesday, March 31, 2020
- Email to finalists and non-finalists
- Thursday, April 9, 2020
- Interview with Auxiliary Judging Panel
- Tuesday, April 14, 2020
- Email to winners and non-winners
- Friday, April 17, 2020
- RSVP due for Auxiliary Awards Luncheon
- Wednesday, May 6, 2020
- Auxiliary Awards Luncheon and Spring General Meeting
Frequently Asked Questions
- May I hand write the application? It is allowed, however for clarity and ease of reading we recommend typing it.
- Can a recommender be if the references? Yes.
- Do we need to place the application packet in a folder/envelope? No, please use paperclip or binder clip to hold your packet together. Do not staple!
- Should I staple my application packet? No, we will be making copies of the application packet for the judges so please do not staple your forms.
- May the application packet be emailed? No, must be dropped off in person.
- May I mail the packet by postal service or other carrier? No, must be dropped off in person to Westwood Volunteer Office located at 757 Westwood Plaza, Suite B791.
- May I drop off part of packet while I am waiting for letter of recommendation or other item? No, packets must be 100% complete or will not be considered eligible.
- Can someone else turn in my packet for me? Yes.
- What if I can’t make the awards luncheon? You forfeit your place as a winner.
- Can I bring my family to the luncheon? Yes, no more than 2 people.
- Who is eligible? Eligible volunteers must have completed 150 hours in calendar year and must be college student or above.
- When do I find out if I am eligible? Qualified applicants will receive email which will be sent in January.
- I think I am eligible for an award but did not receive notification. Who should I contact? Silva Thomas 310-267-8186 email@example.com
- When will I find out that I am a finalist? Please refer to dates noted on the website.
- What if I made it to finalist but can’t make it to the interview? You forfeit your place. No special arrangements will be made.
- I am a winner. How much are the awards? At least $1,000 or more and you will receive an email from us stating the amount and will receive the check at the awards luncheon.
- I am a finalist. What can I expect from the interview? You will be interviewed by a five-panel group of Auxiliary judges for approximately fifteen minutes. They will ask you about yourself, your interests, your field of study, your volunteering, career aspirations and anything else they feel is relevant to getting to know you better.
Letter of Recommendation
- Who can write the letter of recommendation or complete the recommendation form? Your immediate supervisor, either present or former (I.E. a nurse, doctor, care partner or tech as well as a unit director, manager or supervisor).
- May the letter of recommendation be emailed? No, the letter (or form) must be included with the application packet.
- May I have more than one letter of recommendation? No.
- How long does the letter of recommendation need to be? No more than 2 typewritten pages.
- What should the letter of recommendation include? Observations on your quality of work, attendance record, attitude, customer service.
- Can I have more than one recommendation form/LOR? Yes, you may have a maximum of two.
Stats (Winners, Judges, Finalists, Applicants)
- How many winners are there? It varies but there are at least eight.
- How many people apply? It varies from year to year.
- How many finalists (interviewees) are there? 10 or more.
- Do transcripts need to be official? No, you may also print your DPR
What if I Am A Former Winner
- What if I am a former winner? If you are a former winner, you are not eligible to apply again as we try to give other volunteers an opportunity to receive an award.
What happens After I Turn In My Application Packet
- I turned in my application packet by the deadline, what happens next? Your packet is assembled with the other applicants in packets for the five judges. The judges will then read your application and judge you based on years and amount of volunteer service, GPA, outside activities, and letter of recommendation.