Financial & Logistical Support
How to manage the financial challenges of cancer
From diagnosis and treatment through recovery, cancer can significantly impact your finances. Whether you are dealing with a new diagnosis or ongoing treatment, you may find the details of insurance plans to be complicated and confusing. Even with insurance coverage, the cost of treatments, medications and missed work can quickly add up.
Our workshops cover everything from insurance concerns and billing questions to financial assistance for cancer treatments. We offer education, guidance and support while outlining the resources available to you and your loved ones. If you need more focused financial advice, we can refer you to experts who help people with cancer manage their finances.
Workshop topics include:
- Overview of insurance, including the various types of coverage and benefits
- Definitions of insurance terminology, such as deductible, coinsurance, copay, pre-authorization and out-of-pocket maximum
- Information about various paperwork and forms, including the difference between a bill and an explanation of benefits
- Guidelines for filing a claim and appealing a denial of coverage
- Which organizations help cancer patients financially and how to apply for financial assistance programs
Managing the logistics of cancer
Cancer presents challenges in many areas of life, both at work and at home. You may be wondering how and if to tell your employer about a diagnosis or how to request time off for treatments. Many people are unsure of their rights at work or the accommodations available to them.
Our specially trained team members help you and your loved ones work through many of these issues, offering expert guidance and practical advice based on the most updated regulations and policies. Whether you are newly diagnosed, undergoing treatment or in the recovery process, we can help.
Our clinicians have specialized expertise in helping people navigate the logistics of cancer. Through a series of workshops, we offer information, strategies, education and support to help you with:
- Filing for the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), which allows people to take leave from work during an illness or other life event
- Filing for long-term disability and disability benefits
- Understanding the basics of employment law and your rights at work, including whether to disclose a cancer diagnosis to your employer
- Requesting reasonable accommodations at work through the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Taking time off from work for treatments while maintaining job security and receiving compensation
Although we cannot complete these forms or file for these benefits for you, we can walk you through the process. We explain terminology, offer guidance and point you in the right direction. If you need more in-depth support, we refer you to experts who can provide a higher level of guidance.