Spinach & Egg Muffins
1 lb of baby spinach
4 large eggs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 large shallots, minced
3 tbsp coarsely chopped Italian parsley
2 tbsp crumbled feta or blue cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 6-cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with paper muffin cups for easy cleanup. Set aside.
- Place spinach in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Wilt over medium heat, about 2-3 minutes. Drain in a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Squeeze out the water and coarsely chop spinach.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs, 2 tbsp of cold water, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, heat 1 tbsp of oil in a sauté pan or seasoned nonstick frying pan. Add the shallots and sauté until they start to turn golden and caramelize, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach and a pinch of salt and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped parsley. Stir in and cook for a few more seconds. Pour the spinach into the egg mixture. Stir to mix.
- Spoon the egg mixture evenly into the muffin cups (cups should be about ¾ of the way full). Sprinkle with optional crumbled cheese to taste. Bake for 15 minutes or until the muffins are well-risen and golden on top, and a toothpick comes out clean. Place tin on a wire rack. Cool muffins 10 minutes in the tin. Turn out. Eat warm or cold.
*Adapted from www.cookforyourlife.org