Dr. Andrew Jensen is a fellowship-trained Orthopaedic Surgeon who specializes in pathologies of the shoulder and elbow. He has expertise in arthroscopic surgeries of the shoulder and elbow as well as primary and revision shoulder and elbow arthroplasty (joint replacement) surgery.
Dr. Jensen was born and raised in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. He attended Tufts University for college where he graduated summa cum laude with a degree in biochemistry. He then spent a year performing research at the National Institutes of Health in Washington, DC. Following this, he attended the University of Pennsylvania where he obtained his medical degree and master of bioethics. After medical school, he completed orthopedic surgery residency at UCLA and fellowship subspecialty training in shoulder and elbow reconstruction surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
Dr. Jensen's research focuses on treatments for diseases of the shoulder and elbow. He received the Neer Award in 2018 for his research on rotator cuff disease and the Frankle Award in 2020 for his research on shoulder replacement surgery. He has performed research on multiple topics related to the shoulder and elbow, including rotator cuff tears, shoulder arthritis, shoulder arthroplasty, tommy john surgery, and elbow instability, elbow arthroscopy, elbow arthritis, and elbow arthroplasty. He is also the author of multiple orthopaedic book chapters.
Additionally, Dr. Jensen has a strong interest in orthopaedic education. He was awarded the Resident Teaching Award by the UCLA Department of Orthopaedic Surgery in 2019. He is also past chair of the AAOS Resident Assembly and is a former host of the orthopaedic education podcast, JAAOS Unplugged.
Areas of Focus
Clinical Interests - Surgical Procedures
- Primary shoulder and elbow replacements
- Revision shoulder and elbow replacements
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Elbow arthroscopy
- Complex rotator cuff surgery, including tendon transfers
- Open surgeries of the shoulder, elbow, clavicle, and scapula
Clinical Interests – Pathologies
- Shoulder arthritis
- Rotator cuff disease and arthropathy
- Frozen shoulder
- Labral and biceps injuries
- AC and SC joint injuries
- Shoulder instability
- Fractures and posttraumatic conditions of the shoulder girdle
- Elbow arthritis
- Elbow contractures and stiffness
- Distal biceps and triceps tendon injuries
- Elbow instability
- Osteochondritis dissecans of the elbow
- Medial and lateral epicondylitis
- Fractures and posttraumatic conditions of the elbow
- Scapular winging and dyskinesia
- Scapulothoracic bursitis
- Pathologies of the periscapular muscles
- Post-surgical complications, including prior shoulder and elbow arthroplasty
- Wu G, Hu VJ, McClintick DJ, Gatto JD, Aderbigbe T, Jensen AR, Dar A, Petrigliano FA. "Lateral to Medial Fibro-adipogenic Degeneration are Greater in Infraspinatus than Supraspinatus Following Nerve and Tendon Injury of Murine Rotator Cuff" J Orthop Res. 2020 Sep 4.
- Jensen AR, Taylor AT, Sanchez-Sotelo J. "Factors Influencing the Reparability and Healing Rates of Rotator Cuff Tears" Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2020 Jul 17.
- Jensen AR, Turner TW, LaPrade M, Dines JS, Camp CL. "The History and Evolution of Elbow Medial Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction: From Tommy John to 2020" Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2020 Jun 13.
- Keyt LK, Jensen AR, O'Driscoll SW, Sanchez-Sotelo J, Morrey ME, Camp CL. "Establishing the Learning Curve for Elbow Arthroscopy: Surgeon and Trainee Perspectives on Number of Cases Needed and Optimal Methods of Acquiring Skill" J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020 Jun 9.
- Sharma AK, Levian B, Shah P, Mosich G, Husman R, Ariniello A, Gatto J, Hu V, McClintick D, Jensen AR, McAllister DA, Peault B, Dar A, Petrigliano FA. "Aged Mice Demonstrate Greater Muscle Degeneration of Chronically Injured Rotator Cuff" J Orthop Res. 2019 Sept 3.
- Jensen AR, Sharma AK, Formanek B, Wang C, Buser Z, Wang JC, Petrigliano FA. "Continuous Peripheral Nerve Blocks are Associated with Increased Rates of Postoperative Emergency Room Visits Following Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair Surgery" Orthopedics. 2019 Dec 16.
- Jensen AR, Kelley BV, Mosich G, Ariniello A, Eliasberg CE, Vu B, Shah P, Devana SK, Murray IR, Peault B, Dar A, Petrigliano FA. "Neer Award 2018: PDGFRα Co-expression Typifies a Subset of PDGFRβ+ Progenitor Cells that Contribute to Fatty Degeneration and Fibrosis of the Murine Rotator Cuff" J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2018 Apr 10.
- Jensen AR, Cha PS, Devana SK, Ishmael C, von Treuheim TDP, D'Oro A, Wang JC, McAllister DA, Petrigliano FA. "An Evaluation of the Trends, Concomitant Procedures, and Complications of Open and Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repairs in the Medicare Population" Orthop J Sports Med. 2017 Oct 12.
- Eliasberg CE, Dar A, Jensen AR, Murray IR, Hardy WR, Kowalski TJ, Garagozlo CA, Natsuhara KM, Khan AZ, McBride OJ, Cha PI, Kelley BV, Evseenko D, Feeley BT, McAllister DR, Péault B, Petrigliano FA. "Perivascular Stem Cells Diminish Muscle Atrophy Following Massive Rotator Cuff Tears in a Small Animal Model" J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017 Feb 15.
- Jensen AR, Maciel RC, Petrigliano FA, Rodriguez JP, Brooks AG. "Injuries Sustained by the Mixed Martial Arts Athlete" Sports Health. 2016 Aug 16.
- Charles S. Neer Award, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- Resident Teaching Award, UCLA Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Frankle Research Award, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- Resident Research Award, Western Orthopaedic Association
- Young Investigator Award, Western Orthopaedic Association