I am a pulmonary and critical care physician with a focus in palliative care and bioethics.
After completing a graduate degree in Bioethics from the University of Pennsylvania, I completed medical school, internal medicine residency, and PCCM fellowship at New York University, where I was exposed to unprecedented critical care crises including Hurricane Sandy and surges in the COVID-19 pandemic. I subsequently finsihed a second fellowship in Palliative Care at Mount Sinai in New York City to better facilitate goal-concordant care and conduct complex goals of care discussions near the end-of-life. I have a passion for bioethics, remain committed to incorporating my bioethical knowledge to further patient care, and have served on numerous hospital bioethics committees, taken leadership roles at the local and national level, and was inducted into the Gold Humanism Honor Society. I am also skilled in clinical ethics consultation and complex end-of-life discussions. My current research interests include understanding end-of-life decision making for unrepresented patients, and simulating resource allocation outcomes during crisis standards of care. This important work has led to publications, national presentations, and grant funding, including a recent CHEST Foundation grant.
Medical Board Certifications
Critical care, bioethics, resource allocation during pandemics, unrepresented patients, end of life decision making, and patient communication.
- Walsh BC. 2012 runner-up essay. Keeping Joey at the center of the conversation: ethical considerations in a challenging pediatric case. Virtual Mentor. 2013 Aug 1;15(8):666-7 PMID: 23937781
- Morrison W, Womer J, Nathanson P, Kersun L, Hester DM, Walsh C, Feudtner C. Pediatricians' Experience with Clinical Ethics Consultation: A National Survey. J Pediatr. 2015 Oct;167(4):919-924. PMID: 26210945
- Walsh BC, Karia R, Egol K, Zuckerman J, Phillips D. Teaching Professionalism in Orthopaedic Residency: Efficacy of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Ethics Modules. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2018 Jul 15;26(14):507-514. PMID: 29847419
- Parent B, Moazami N, Wall S, Carillo J, Kon Z, Smith D, Walsh BC, Caplan A. Ethical and Logistical Concerns for Establishing NRP-cDCD Heart Transplantation in the United States. Am J Trans. 2020 Jun;20(6):1508-1512. PMID: 31913567
- Mukherjee V, Toth A, Fenianos M, Martell S, Karpel H, Postelnicu R, Bhatt A, Deshwal H, Kreiger-Benson E, Brill K, Goldlust S, Nair S, Walsh BC, Ellenberg D, Magda G, Pradhan D, Uppal A, Hena K, Chitkara N, Alviar CL, Basavaraj A, Luoma K, Link N, Bails D, Addrizzo-Harris D, Sterman D. Clinical Outcomes in Critically Ill COVID-19 Patients: A Unique New York City Public Hospital Experience. Crit Care Explor. 2020 Aug;2(8):e0188. PMID: 32885172
- Parent B, Agosto JLR, Walsh BC. Legal Foundation for Crisis Clinical DNR Orders. JGIM, 2021, Oct;36(10):3210-3211. PMID: 33886029
- Walsh BC, Pradhan D, Mukherjee V, Uppal A, Nunnally M, Berkowitz K. How Common SOFA and Ventilator Time Trial Criteria would have Performed during the COVID-19 Pandemic: An Observational Simulated Cohort Study. Disaster Med Public Health Prep. 2022 Jun 9; 1-25. PMID: 35678391
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2021
- Rudin Fellow in Medical Ethics and Humanities, 2019 - 20
- Arthur Zitrin Graduating Medical Student Award for Bioethics, 2015
- John COnley Ethics Essay Contest Runner-Up, 2013
- Pediatric Narrative Award, 2013