Christina Charles-Schoeman is a Professor of Medicine and Chief of the Division of Rheumatology at UCLA. Dr. Charles-Schoeman graduated magna cum laude with a BS degree in Chemistry from Yale University. She completed her medical degree and training in Internal Medicine and Rheumatology at UCLA where she also earned her Master of Science degree in Clinical Research through the Specialty Training and Advanced Research (STAR) Program.
Dr. Charles-Schoeman specializes in the care of patients with rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory myositis, often treating patients with aggressive systemic disease including severe interstitial lung disease. Her research interests include the study of accelerated vascular disease and inflammatory lipoproteins as novel targets for disease treatment in RA and myositis. She also leads several clinical trials of novel therapies for RA and myositis at UCLA.
Medical Board Certification
Areas of Focus
- C Charles-Schoeman, R Fleischmann, J Davignon, H Schwartz, S Turner, C Beysen, M Milad, M Hellerstein, Z Luo, I Kaplan, R Riese, A Zuckerman, IB McInnes. Potential Mechanisms Leading to the Abnormal Lipid Profile in Patients With Rheumatoid Arthritis Versus Healthy Volunteers and Reversal by Tofacitinib. Arthritis Rheumatol 2015 Mar;67(3):616-25.
- C Charles-Schoeman, YY Lee, A Shahbazian, X Wang, D Elashoff , JR Curtis, I Navarro-Millán, S Yang, L Chen, SS Cofield, LW Moreland, H Paulus, J O’Dell, J Bathon, SL Bridges, ST Reddy. Improvement in HDL Function in Early Rheumatoid Arthritis Patients Treated with Methotrexate Monotherapy or Combination Therapy in the TEAR Trial. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017 Jan. 69(1):46-57.
- C Charles-Schoeman, X Wang, YY Lee, A Shahbazian, ST Reddy. High levels of oxidized fatty acids in HDL are associated with impaired HDL function in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis. Clinical Rheumatology. 2018 Mar;37(3):615-622.
- C Charles-Schoeman, GB Gugiu, H Ge, A Shahbazian, Y Y Lee, X Wang, TD Lee, DE Furst, VK Ranganath, M Maldonado, ST Reddy. Proteomic Profiling Following Immunoaffinity Capture of High-density Lipoprotein (HDL) Identifies Changes in Multiple HDL-associated Proteins Following Treatment with Abatacept or Adalimumab in the AMPLE Study of Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Atherosclerosis. 2018 April. 17;275:107-114.
- S Bae, C Charles-Schoeman. Oral cyclophosphamide in treatment of patients with refractory idiopathic inflammatory myopathies: a retrospective observational study. Clinical Rheumatology. Clin Rheumatol. 2018 Aug;37(8):2113-2123.
- C Charles-Schoeman, R DeMasi, H Valdez, K Soma, LJ Hwang, MG Boy, P Biswas, IB McInnes. Risk Factors for Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events in Phase III and Long-Term Extension Studies of tofacitinib in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2019 Sep;71(9):1450-1459.
- SS Bae, B Oganesian, I Golub, C Charles-Schoeman. Statin use in patients with non-HMGCR idiopathic inflammatory myopathies: A retrospective study. Clin Cardiol. 2020 May 20.
- SS Bae, Yuen YY Lee, A Shahbazian, J Wang, D Meriwether, I Golub, B Oganesian, T Dowd, ST Reddy, and C Charles-Schoeman. High Density Lipoprotein Function is Abnormal in Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2020 Nov 1;59(11):3515-3525.
- SS Bae, C Chang, SS Merkin, J Ishigami, K Matsushita, C Charles-Schoeman. Major Lipids and Risk of Hospitalization for Pneumonia: Longitudinal Observational Study from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. Am J Med. 2020 Aug 16:S0002-9343(20)30698-7.
- JR Curtis, MD, M Weinblatt, K Saag, V Bykerk, DE. Furst, S Fiore, G St John, T Kimura, S Zheng, CO Bingham, G Wright, M Bergman, K Nola, C Charles-Schoeman, and N Shadick.Data-Driven Patient Clustering and Differential Clinical Outcomes in the Brigham and Women’s Rheumatoid Arthritis Sequential Study (BRASS) Registry. Arthritis Care & Research. 2020 Oct 1.
- Super Doctors® Southern California 2022, 2023
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021