Faculty, Department of Family Medicine
Faculty, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Faculty, Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship Program at UCLA
Team Physician for UCLA Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
Team Physician for UCLA Bruins' Women's Soccer and Softball programs
Dr. Vigil holds faculty appointments in the departments of Family Medicine and Orthopaedic Surgery. After his Sports Medicine Fellowship training at UCLA, Dr. Vigil founded the Division of Sports Medicine and co-founded the Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship Program at Kaiser Permanente-Los Angeles Medical Center. Afterward, Dr. Vigil returned to UCLA, where he holds faculty appointments in the departments of Family Medicine and Orthopaedic Surgery. He serves as a consultant in Musculoskeletal Medicine at Mid-Valley Comprehensive Health Center in Van Nuys, CA.
Dr. Vigil is a physician member of the UCLA Department of Intercollegiate Athletics where he serves as Team Physician for UCLA Bruins' Women's Soccer and Softball programs. He serves as a medical consultant for USA Track and Field, and is a member of the USA Track and Field physician referral network. He has served as a USA team physician for several international competitions including the World Championships, World Cup, Continental Cup and Pan American Games. In addition, he has served as a physician for the United States Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista, CA.
Dr. Vigil is a member of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine and the American College of Sports Medicine. Dr. Vigil is a member of the Sports Medicine Board Certification test writing committee for the American Board of Family Medicine.
Dr. Vigil's sports medicine practice at UCLA includes patients of all ages for the evaluation of sports-related injuries and medical problems. He also practices family medicine, providing care for patients with a wide variety of medical problems, as well as supervising medical students, residents and fellows.
Medical Board Certifications
Research Papers (Peer Reviewed)
- Waters RL, Adkins R, Yakura J, Vigil DV. Prediction of ambulatory performance based on motor scores derived from standards of the American Spinal Injury Association. Arch Phys Med Rehab 75:756-60, 1994.
- Vigil DV. Heat Illness. In: Twenty Common Problems in Sports Medicine. Puffer JC, editor. 1st ed. Philadelphia, PA: McGraw-Hill, 2000: 303-321.
- Vigil, DV: Soccer. In Sports Injuries & Emergencies. Rubin, A, editor. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2003: 355-361.
- Ong A, Vigil DV. What To Do with Hypertension and a Murmur Found During a Preparticipation Physical Evaluation? Perm J 9(4): 20–22, 2005.
- Artal R, Clapp JF, Vigil DV.: Exercise During Pregnancy. Current Comment. Official statements by the American College of Sports Medicine. August 2000.
- Peng HP, Vigil DV. Ankle Injury – Gymnastics. Med Sci Sports Exerc, (43):5 Supplement 2011.
- Shah S, Luftman J, Vigil DV. Stress Injury of the Talar Dome and Body in a Ballerina: a Case Report. J Dance Med Sci 9(3-4):91-95(5), 2005.
- Vigil DV, DiFiori, JP, Puffer JC, Peacock W. Arachnoid Cyst and Subdural Hygroma in a High School Football Player. Clin J Sport Med 8(3):234-236, 1998.
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021