Dr. David F. Yao is a faculty member of the Department of Urology at UCLA.
Born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, Dr. Yao is very happy to be back home in California. He went to college at Johns Hopkins University and received his medical degree at Boston University. His General Surgery internship and Urology residency was completed at Harvard Medical School (Brigham and Women's Hospital). He completed his fellowship at UCLA, then stayed on as faculty.
As a physician, Dr. Yao wants to be directly involved in his patient's care, have a full range of labs or tests available for his patients, and be part of a team of experts that share these interests in their patients. Here at UCLA, he is proud to be a part of that. As a general adult urologist, he is a surgical specialist trained to deal with many issues involving the kidneys, ureters, bladder, prostate, penis, scrotum, and testicles.
Dr. Yao values each patient as an individual who has special concerns and unique needs. He takes pride in trying to treat each patient as he would want to be treated. Whatever your urologic condition involves, his goal is to ensure that the relationship is a positive one.
Dr. Yao is also interested in medical education and has given lectures to medical students, urology residents, and primary care providers, at UCLA School of Medicine. He has been a medical student preceptor for several years. He has been an applicant interviewer for both the UCLA School of Medicine and the UCLA Department of Urology.
In his personal life, Dr. Yao enjoys traveling locally and abroad with his wife, son, and labradoodle. Baseball and baseball history are of special interest to him. He is an avid fan of the San Francisco Giants.
- American Urological Association
- American Board of Urology, Diplomat
- American Heart Association, BLS Provider
- California Department of Public Health, Fluoroscopy, X-ray Supervisor and Operator
- Medical Board of California, Physician and Surgeon
- National Board of Medical Examiners, Diplomat
Academic & Medical Staff Appointments:
- Attending Urologist, Santa Monica – UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica, CA
- Attending Urologist, Ronald Reagan – UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
Medical Board Certification
Areas of Focus
- Yao DF, Mills J. Male infertility: lifestyle factors and holistic, complementary, and alternative therapies. Asian J Androl. 2016;18(3): 410-8.
- Costa DN, Bloch BN, Yao DF, Sanda MG, Ngo L, Genega EM, Pedrosa I, DeWolf WC, Rofsky NM. Diagnosis of relevant prostate cancer using supplementary cores from magnetic resonance imaging-prompted areas following multiple failed biopsies. Magn Reson Imaging. 2013;31(6): 947-52.
- Yao DF, Weinberg AC, Penna FJ, Huang L, Freilich DA, Minnillo BJ, Shoag J, Retik AB, Nguyen HT. Quality of life in children with vesicoureteral reflux as perceived by children and parents. J Pediatr Urol. 2011;7(3): 261-5.
- Yao D, Steele G: Benign prostatic hypertrophy. In Mushlin SB, Greene HL (eds): Decision Making in Medicine, ed 3. Philadelphia, Mosby Elsevier, 2010.
- Yao D, Steele G: Prostatitis. In Mushlin SB, Greene HL (eds): Decision Making in Medicine, ed 3. Philadelphia, Mosby Elsevier, 2010.
The Journal of Urology
In the News
- 'I've gained my life back': New tests may help those with persistent urinary tract infections - The Washington Post, June 2019
- Should I Green-Light Laser Therapy for my BPH? - Giddy, February 2022
- Tainted Love: Some Sexual Supplements Have Hidden Ingredients - Giddy, January 2022.
- 6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor If BPH Is a Concern – Giddy, September 2021.
- We Have Questions: Prostatitis - Giddy, July 2021
- Super Doctors® Southern California, 2023
- Super Doctors® Southern California, 2021, 2022
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Rising Star Award, Southern California Super Doctors, 2016-2018
- Physician Recognition Award, Kaiser Permanente, 2014
- High Flyer recognition for member and patient satisfaction, Kaiser Permanente, 2014
- Excellence in Teaching in the Surgical Clerkship, Faulkner Hospital (Harvard Medical School), 2007