Derek Wong was born at UCLA Medical Center. He graduated from Webb High School in Clairemont, CA and attended Harvard University, where he received a BA/MS degree in Applied Mathematics. After completing his medical degree and pediatric residency, he worked in a general pediatric practice in Glendale, CA for 9 years. In 2002 he completed fellowship training in clinical and biochemical genetics at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.
Dr. Wong sees patients with genetic disorders, and has a special interest in patients with inborn errors of metabolism. His clinical and research interests include newborn screening, clinical trials for new therapies for inborn errors of metabolism, and mathematical and computer modeling of biologic processes.
Medical Board Certifications
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2018
- GCRC Young Investigator Award for Best Scientific Publication, LA Biomed, 2005
- Aventis Metabolism Scholar Award, Western Society of Pediatric Research 2005
- Chief Resident, UCLA Intercampus Medical Genetics Training Program 2004-2005
- Victor Stork Award for Outstanding House Officer, 1993