Diana V. Messadi, D.D.S., M.M.Sc., D.M.Sc. is a professor in the Section of Oral Medicine at the UCLA School of Dentistry. She also serves as the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
Dr. Messadi received her Bachelor of Dental Surgery (B.D.S., D.D.S), in 1979 from the Faculty of Dentistry, Alexandria University, Egypt. From 1979-1980 she was a Dental Intern in Alexandria University Faculty of Dentistry. In 1980, she was appointed as a Lecturer in the Oral Pathology Department at Alexandria University Faculty of Dentistry. In 1982 she traveled to the USA to pursue her postdoctoral training; she obtained a Master of Medical Sciences, (MMSc) (1985) from Harvard School of Dental Medicine, a Certificate in Oral Pathology and Oral Medicine (1985) from Harvard School of Dental Medicine. And a Doctorate of Medical Sciences in Oral Biology, (DMSc) in 1987, also from Harvard School of Dental Medicine. From 1987-1989, she went back to Egypt and was appointed as an Assistant Professor of Oral Pathology at the Faculty of Dentistry, Alexandria University. In 1989 she came back to the USA with her husband and started working at UCLA School of Dentistry. She is currently Professor and Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. She served as Chair of the Section of Oral Medicine and Orofacial Pain from 2002-2018, she also served as Associate Dean for Education and Faculty Development from 2015-2018.
Dr. Messadi's clinical interests include oral diagnosis, oral medicine, and oral oncology. Oral medicine involves the diagnosis and management of patients with a wide variety of diseases such as oral cancer, autoimmune diseases, viral and fungal infections, oral manifestations of HIV infections, and oral post-radiation complications such as xerostomia and mucositis.
- Eoon Hye Ji, Naseim Elzakra, Eon S Lee, Bingbing Sun, Diana Messadi, Tian Xia, Yifang Zhu, Shen Hu. E-cigarette aerosols induce unfolded protein response in normal human oral keratinocytes. Journal of Cancer; Vol. 10: 6915-6924, 2019
- Martín Carreras-Presas C, Naeim M, Hsiou D, Somacarrera Pérez ML, Messadi DV. The need to educate future dental professionals on E-cigarette effects. Eur J Dent Educ.; 22:e751–e758; 2018_
- Diana V. Messadi; Mark Macek; Daniela Markovic; Kathryn A. Atchison. Oral Health Literacy, Preventive Behavior Measures and Chronic Medical Conditions. Journal Dent Res Clin and Trans Res. 3 (3): 288-301, 2018
- Ji, Eoon Hye; Diep, Cynthia; Liu, Tong; Li, Hong; Messadi, Diana; Hu, Shen. Potential protein biomarkers for burning mouth syndrome discovered by quantitative proteomics. Molecular Pain, 13: 1–8, 2017
- Diana V. Messadi. Oral Cancer: Novel Concepts for the Oral Health Care Practitioner. CDA J : 44 (2): 82-84, 2016
- Diana V. Messadi and Kazumichi Sato. Oral Cancer Chemoprevention: Current Status and Future Direction. CDA J. 44 (2): 101-111, 2016
- Tumouh Al Allaq, Terrie DeBord, Honghu Liu, Xin Ye and Diana V. Messadi. Oral Health Status of Individuals with Cerebral Palsy at a Nationally Recognized Rehabilitation Center. Spec Care Dentist 35(1): 15-21, 2015
- Diana V. Messadi, Fariba S Younai, Honghu Liu, Gao Guo and Cun-Yu Wang. The Clinical Effectiveness of Reflectance Optical Spectroscopy for the In Vivo Diagnosis of Oral Lesions. Int J of Oral Sciences 6 (3): 162-167, 2014
- Gironda, M; Bibb, C; Lefever K; Law, C and Messadi DV. A Program to Recruit and Mentor Future Academic Dentists: Successes and Challenges. J American Dental Educ. 77 (3): 292-299, 2013
- Diana V. Messadi. Diagnostic Aids for Detection of Oral Precancerous Conditions. Int J of Oral Sciences. 5 (2): 59-65, 2013
- James H. Shaw Award in Biomedical Research, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, Harvard University, Boston, MA
- Fellow, Salzburg Seminar Session # 266 "Aids Confronting an Epidemic", Salzburg, Austria
- International College of Dentists (ICD) the Golden Pen Division 1 Award as guest Editor of the CDA February 2016 issue: “ Oral Cancer: Novel Concepts for the Oral Health Care Practitioner”
- UCLA Multicampus Program in Geriatric Medicine & Gerontology, Bureau of Health Professions, mid-career fellowship in Geriatric Dentistry
- Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) Program for Women Fellowship
- Medical Education Fellowship, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA