Dr. Dinesh Chhetri is Professor of Head and Neck Surgery and a Laryngologist, a specialist in voice disorders, swallowing disorders, and airway (breathing) disorders. He graduated magna cum laude from Brown University with a degree in Biochemistry, then obtained his MD from UCLA School of Medicine, where he graduated with distinction for his thesis on vocal fold paralysis and laryngeal reinnervation. He remained at UCLA for his residency training in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and Fellowship in Laryngology.
Dr. Chhetri is known nationally and internationally as an academic laryngologist and head and neck surgeon. He has authored nearly 100 publications related to voice and swallowing disorders. He has been consistently funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) for his research in the topic of neuromuscular control of the larynx and voice disorders. He has special interest in caring for those who rely primarily on their voice in their profession (Care of the Professional Voice), vocal cord paralysis, neurologic voice problems, as well as benign and malignant growths of the larynx and surrounding structures causing voice, swallowing, and breathing problems.
Dr. Chhetri is also an international authority on swallowing disorders, having published the seminal book "Dysphagia Evaluation and Management in Otolaryngology" and given many invited lectures around the world on swallowing disorders related to neurogenic and obstructive causes, as well as radiation therapy for head and neck cancer. He is also certified in Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS) for head and neck cancer.
Dr. Chhetri currently serves as Vice-Chair of the UCLA Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Director of the UCLA Swallowing Disorders Program and the UCLA Head and Neck Cancer Survivorship Program, and co-director of the Laryngology program. He also volunteers externally as council member of the American Laryngological Association, and grant reviewer for national institute of health. In addition, he is passionate about training surgeons throughout the world and has led many international medical missions to South Asia.
Academic Staff Appointments
- Professor-in-Residence, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA
Medical Staff Appointments
- Co-Director, Fellowship, Laryngology and Disorders of the Voice, Airway, Swallowing
- Acoustical Society of America (ASA)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS)
- American Broncho-Esophagological Association (ABEA)
- American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- American Head and Neck Society (AHNS)
- American Laryngological Association (ALA)
- The Triological Society
Medical Board Certification
His main focus in the Laryngeal Physiology Laboratory is evaluation and treatment of voice problems related to laryngeal posture and vibration, including study of laryngeal asymmetries such as vocal fold paresis and paralysis, as well as vocal fold vibratory abnormalities related to scar, tissue loss, vocal fold neoplasms, and tension asymmetry. His current research focus in the Swallowing Disorders Program is prevention dysphagia in patients undergoing chemoradiation therapy for head and neck cancer.
- Chhetri DK, Neubauer J, Berry DA. Neuromuscular control of fundamental frequency and glottal posture at phonation onset. J Acoust Soc Am. 2012 Feb;131(2):1401-12.
- Vira D, DeConde A, Chhetri DK. Endoscopic management of supraglottic laryngopharyngeal stenosis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012 Apr;146(4):611-3.
- Sidell D, Lai C, Bhuta S, Barnes L, Chhetri DK. Malignant phosphaturic mesenchymal tumor of the larynx. Laryngoscope. 2011 Sep;121(9):1860-3.
- Sidell D, Chhetri DK. CO2 laser ablation and balloon dilation for acquired nasopharyngeal stenosis: a novel technique. Laryngoscope. 2011 Jul;121(7).
- Chhetri DK, Berke GS. Injection of cultured autologous fibroblasts for human vocal fold scars. Laryngoscope. 2011 Apr;121(4):785-92.
- Chhetri DK, Mendelsohn AH. Hyaluronic acid for the treatment of vocal fold scars. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Dec;18(6):498-502.
- Chhetri DK, Neubauer J, Berry DA. Graded activation of the intrinsic laryngeal muscles for vocal fold posturing. J Acoust Soc Am. 2010 Apr;127(4):EL127-33.
- Long JL, Neubauer J, Zhang Z, Zuk P, Berke GS, Chhetri DK. Functional testing of a tissue-engineered vocal fold cover replacement. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Mar;142(3):438-40.
- Chhetri DK, Zhang Z, Neubauer J. Measurement of Young's modulus of vocal folds by indentation. J Voice. 2011 Jan;25(1):1-7. Epub 2010 Feb 19.
- Sidell D, Shamouelian D, Erman A, Gerratt BR, Chhetri D. Improved tracheoesophageal prosthesis sizing in office-based tracheoesophageal puncture. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2010 Jan;119(1):37-41.
- Sidell D, Ghadiali M, Chhetri DK. nsedated office-based tracheoesophageal puncture using a novel guidewire technique. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010 Feb;142(2):284-5.
- Long JL, Zuk P, Berke GS, Chhetri DK. Epithelial differentiation of adipose-derived stem cells for laryngeal tissue engineering. Laryngoscope. 2010 Jan;120(1):125-31.
- Joo D, Duarte VM, Ghadiali MT, Chhetri DK. Recovery of vocal fold paralysis after cardiovascular surgery. Laryngoscope. 2009 Jul;119(7):1435-8.
- Lotfizadeh A, Chhetri DK. Viral supraglottitis in an adult. Ear Nose Throat J. 2009 Feb;88(2):768-70.
- Chhetri DK, Berke GS, Lotfizadeh A, Goodyer E. Control of vocal fold cover stiffness by laryngeal muscles: a preliminary study. Laryngoscope. 2009 Jan;119(1):222-7.
- Smith JE, Suh JD, Erman A, Nabili V, Chhetri DK, Blackwell KB. Risk factors predicting aspiration after free flap reconstruction of oral cavity and oropharyngeal defects. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008 Nov;134(11):1205-8.
- Jahan-Parwar B, Chhetri DK, Ye M, Hart S, Berke GS. Hylan B gel restores structure and function to laser-ablated canine vocal folds. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2008 Sep;117(9):703-7.
- Joo D, Chhetri DK, Wang MB. Endoscopic removal of juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibromas: a video presentation. Laryngoscope. 2008 Jun;118(6):e1-3.
- Cohen M, Nabili V, Chhetri DK. Palatal perforation from cocaine abuse. Ear Nose Throat J. 2008 May;87(5):262.
- Chhetri DK, Merati AL, Blumin JH, Sulica L, Damrose EJ, Tsai VW. Reliability of the perceptual evaluation of adductor spasmodic dysphonia. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2008 Mar;117(3):159-65.
- Berke GS, Neubauer J, Berry DA, Ye M, Chhetri DK. Ex vivo perfused larynx model of phonation: preliminary study. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2007 Nov;116(11):866-70.
- Cohen M, Chhetri DK, Head C. Isolated uvulitis. Ear Nose Throat J. 2007 Aug;86(8):462, 464.
- Tsai V, Celmer A, Berke GS, Chhetri DK. Videostroboscopic findings in unilateral superior laryngeal nerve paralysis and paresis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007 Apr;136(4):660-2.
- Luu Q, Tsai V, Mangunta V, Berke GS, Chhetri DK. Safety of percutaneous injection of bovine dermal crosslinked collagen for glottic insufficiency. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007 Mar;136(3):445-9.
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Full Time Faculty Teaching Award in the Division of Head and Neck Surgery, 2006
- Young Faculty or Practitioner Award, Annual meeting of the American Laryngological Association (ALA), Boca Raton, FL, May 2005
- Third Place Prize in Basic Clinical Research, Annual meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngology; Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS), San Diego, CA, September 2002
- National Institutes of Health (NIH), NIDCD R01 Grant "Neuromuscular Control of the Larynx"