Dr. Erik N. Zeegen is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in joint replacement surgery and has extensive experience in anterior hip replacement surgery, less invasive knee replacement surgery, robotic-assisted knee replacement surgery, and complex revision surgery of hip and knee replacements that have failed. Dr. Zeegen is the Chief of Joint Replacement Surgery at UCLA.
A native of Southern California, Dr. Zeegen attended the University of California at Berkeley and at Los Angeles as an undergraduate. Dr. Zeegen earned his Doctor of Medicine from UCLA in 1996. He also completed his general surgery internship and orthopaedic surgery residency at UCLA. Dr. Zeegen moved to Boston in 2001 and completed a fellowship in Orthopaedic Surgical Oncology at Massachusetts General Hospital and Boston Children's Hospital. He then completed a fellowship in Adult Reconstructive Surgery at Boston's New England Baptist Hospital from 2002-2003 before returning to Los Angeles in late 2003. From 2003 – 2005, Dr. Zeegen was an Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at UCLA, and then was the Associate Medical Director of the Valley Hip & Knee Institute in Tarzana, CA until recently being named Chief of Joint Replacement Surgery at UCLA.
Dr. Zeegen is a member of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the California Orthopaedic Association and the American Medical Association. He has authored many academic papers and textbook chapters and has presented lectures at national and international meetings on the topic of hip and knee replacement surgery and is a reviewer for several peers reviewed journals. Dr. Zeegen is also an Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, UCLA School of Medicine.
Dr. Zeegen performs knee and hip joint replacement surgery at Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center and Orthopaedic Hospital. He is available to see patients at UCLA offices in Santa Monica and Encino.
Medical Board Certifications
- Zeegen EN, Aponte-Tinao LA, Hornicek FJ, Gebhardt MC, Mankin HJ. Survivorship analysis of 141 modular metallic endoprostheses. Clin Orthop. 420:239-250, Mar 2004.
- Bierbaum BE, Zeegen EN, Dayton MR. Hydroxyapatite coating on the femoral stem in primary total hip arthroplasty. Orthopaedics, 26(9): 913-14, Sep 2003.
- Mankin HJ, Casas-Ganem J, Kim JI, Gebhardt MC, Hornicek FJ, Zeegen EN. Leiomyosarcoma of somatic soft tissues. Clin Orthop. 421:225-31, Apr 2004.
- Hegde V, Arshi A, Wang C, Buser Z, Wang JC, Jensen AR, Adams JS, Zeegen EN, Bernthal NM. Preoperative Vitamin D Deficiency Is Associated with Higher Postoperative Complication Rates in Total Knee Arthroplasty. Orthopedics. 2018 Apr 27:1-7.
- Arshi A, Lai WC, Chen JB, Bukata SV, Stavrakis AI, Zeegen EN. Predictors and sequelae of postoperative delirium in geriatric hip fracture patients. Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2018
- Arshi A, Rezzadeh K, Stavrakis AI, Bukata SV, Zeegen EN. Standardized hospital-based care programs improve geriatric hip fracture outcomes: an analysis of the ACS-NSQIP targeted hip fracture series. J Orthop Trauma. 2018 Jun 36:223-228.
- Arshi A, Iglesias BC, Zambrana LE, Lai WC, Zeegen EN, Sassoon AA, Stavrakis AI. Inpatient rehabilitation facility utilization in postsurgical orthogeriatric hip fracture care. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019.
- Zeegen EN, Yates A, Jevsevar DS. After the COVID-19 pandemic: returning to normalcy or returning to a new normal? J Arthroplasty. S0883-5403(20)30427-7. April 2020.
- Arshi A, Shieh A, Adams JS, Bernthal NM, Zeegen EN, Sassoon AA. Preoperative vitamin D repletion in total knee arthroplasty: a preliminary cost-effectiveness model. J Arthroplasty. 35(5):1379-1383. May 2020.
- Patel BH, Zeegen EN, Sassoon AA. Use of an Accelerometer-Based Computer-Assisted Navigation System to Correct Complex Deformity in a Patient with Multiple Hereditary Exostoses. Arthroplasty Today.
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Southern California Super Doctors®, 2020
- Southern California Super Doctors®, 2019
- Southern California Super Doctors®, 2018
- Southern California Super Doctors®, 2017
- Southern California Super Doctors®, 2016
- Southern California Super Doctors®, 2015
- Southern California Super Doctors®, 2014
- Alpha Omega Alpha, National Honor Society, UCLA 1996
- Phi Beta Kappa, National Honor Society, UCLA 1992
- Magna cum laude, UCLA 1992