Dr. Evan Vellios is a fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon specializing in open and arthroscopic surgery of the shoulder, elbow, and knee. Dr. Vellios was born and raised in Los Angeles, and he attended medical school at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA before completing his orthopedic surgery residency at UCLA Medical Center.
After his residency training, Dr. Vellios then completed a fellowship in sports medicine and shoulder surgery at the prestigious Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, which has been rated the number one orthopedic hospital in the country for the last 11 years. There, he learned expertise in the latest, proven treatments for sports-related injuries and shoulder conditions, including ACL reconstruction, cartilage restoration, Tommy John surgery, and computer-assisted shoulder replacement. He also had the opportunity to serve as an assistant team physician for the New York Mets Baseball team where he gained invaluable experience working with and treating elite throwing athletes.
Dr. Vellios has a passion for helping athletes of all ages and levels return to what they love. In his practice, he tailors all treatment decisions to each of his patients to provide them with the best care. He also performs orthopedic research, which allows him to better treat his patients as he is up to date with the latest treatments. Furthermore, he uses computer-assisted technology and minimally invasive techniques to allow his patients to have faster recovery times and superior results.
Dr. Vellios' research interests focus on diseases of the shoulder, elbow and knee. He has performed research on multiple topics including shoulder replacement, knee cartilage restoration procedures and Tommy John surgery. He is also the author of multiple orthopedic book chapters on topics such as ACL reconstruction, PCL reconstruction, meniscus allograft transplantation, elbow arthroscopy, and Tommy John surgery.
- Vellios EE, Jones KJ, Williams RJ. Osteochondral Autograft Transfer for Focal Cartilage Lesions of the Knee with Donor-Site Back-Fill Using Pre-cut Osteochondral Allograft Plugs and Micronized Extracellular Cartilage Augmentation. Arthroscopy Techniques. Manuscript In press.
- Erickson BJ, Carr JB, Vellios E, Chalmers PN, Altchek DW. "Ulnar Collateral Ligament Tear Location May Affect Return To Sport Rate But Not Performance Upon Return To Sport Following Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction Surgery In Professional Baseball Players." [published online ahead of print, 2020 Aug 18]. Am J Sports Med. 2020;363546520947090. doi:10.1177/0363546520947090
- Vellios EE, Pinnamaneni S, Camp CL, Dines J. "Technology in Injury Prevention of the Shoulder and Elbow in the Overhead Athlete." Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine. 2020. Aug;13(4):472-478. doi: 10.1007/s12178-020-09645-9.
- Vellios EE, Trivellas M, Arshi A, Beck J. "Recurrent Patellar Instability in the Pediatric Patient: Management and Pitfalls." Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine. 2020 Feb;13(1):58-68. doi: 10.1007/s12178-020-09607-1.
- Fretes, N, Vellios EE, Zoller SD, Sharma A, Ajiboye RM. "Radiographic and Functional Outcomes of Bisphosphonate Use in Spinal Fusion: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Comparative Studies." European Spine Journal. 2019 Aug 5. doi: 10.1007/s00586-019-06090-2
- Vellios EE. McAllister DR, Jones KJ. "Open Tibial Inlay PCL Reconstruction: Surgical Technique and Clinical Outcomes". Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine. 2018. Jun;11(2):316-319. doi: 10.1007/s12178-018-9490-3
- Ajiboye RM, Park H, Cohen JR, Vellios EE, Adedayo AO, Lord EL, Zoller SD, Buser Z, Wang JC. "Demographic Trends in the Use of Intraoperative Neuromonitoring for Scoliosis Surgery in the United States." Int J Spine Surg. 2017 Dec 5;11:33. doi: 10.14444/4033. eCollection 2017
- Vellios EE, Nazemi A, Yeranosian M, Petrigliano FA, Wong J, and McAllister DR. "Demographic Trends in Arthroscopic and Open Biceps Tenodesis." Journal of Shoulder Elbow Surgery, 2015; Jul 1. pii. S1058-2746(15)00256-6.doi:10.1016/j.jse.2015.04.021.