Gary M. Satou MD, FASE, FAHA is a Clinical Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and is a pediatric cardiologist with expertise in the care of the fetus and child with complex congenital heart disease and congenital cardiac imaging.
Dr. Satou is the Director of Pediatric Echocardiography at UCLA Mattel Children's Hospital and Co-Director of the UCLA Fetal Cardiology Program. As well, he has previously served as Vice Chair of the Academic Medicine College at the David Geffen School of Medicine.
In addition to caring for patients, Dr. Satou is active in medical education and teaches numerous fellows, residents and medical students throughout the UCLA Health Enterprise. His area of clinical investigation includes pediatric cardiology, as well as fetal and pediatric echocardiography. In addition to scientific papers and abstracts, he has written multiple book chapters and is a reviewer for various medical journals, as well as participates in national committee work with the American Heart Association (Cardiovascular Disease in the Young) and the American Society of Echocardiography.
Medical Board Certifications
Dr. Satou participates in clinical research collaboration involving Complex Congenital Heart Disease, Echocardiography and Imaging, and Telemedicine.
- Quantitative Evaluation of the Fetal Right and Left Ventricular Fractional Area Change Using Speckle Tracking Technology. DeVore GR, Klas B, Satou G, Sklansky M. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2018 Mar 14. doi: 10.1002/uog.19048. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29536575
- Heart Disease and Stroke Statistics-2018 Update: A Report From the American Heart Association. Benjamin EJ, Virani SS, Callaway CW, Chamberlain AM, Chang AR, Cheng S, Chiuve SE, Cushman M, Delling FN, Deo R, de Ferranti SD, Ferguson JF, Fornage M, Gillespie C, Isasi CR, Jiménez MC, Jordan LC, Judd SE, Lackland D, Lichtman JH, Lisabeth L, Liu S, Longenecker CT, Lutsey PL, Mackey JS, Matchar DB, Matsushita K, Mussolino ME, Nasir K, O'Flaherty M, Palaniappan LP, Pandey A, Pandey DK, Reeves MJ, Ritchey MD, Rodriguez CJ, Roth GA, Rosamond WD, Sampson UKA, Satou GM, Shah SH, Spartano NL, Tirschwell DL, Tsao CW, Voeks JH, Willey JZ, Wilkins JT, Wu JH, Alger HM, Wong SS, Muntner P; American Heart Association Council on Epidemiology and Prevention Statistics Committee and Stroke Statistics Subcommittee. Circulation. 2018 Mar 20;137(12):e67-e492. doi: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000558. Epub 2018 Jan 31. Review. No abstract available. Erratum in: Circulation. 2018 Mar 20;137(12 ):e493. PMID: 29386200
- 4D fetal echocardiography-An update. DeVore GR, Satou G, Sklansky M. Echocardiography. 2017 Dec;34(12):1788-1798. doi: 10.1111/echo.13708. PMID: 29287138
- Longitudinal Annular Systolic Displacement Compared to Global Strain in Normal Fetal Hearts and Those With Cardiac Abnormalities. DeVore GR, Klas B, Satou G, Sklansky M. J Ultrasound Med. 2018 May;37(5):1159-1171. doi: 10.1002/jum.14454. Epub 2017 Oct 31. PMID: 29086430
- Twenty-four Segment Transverse Ventricular Fractional Shortening: A New Technique to Evaluate Fetal Cardiac Function. DeVore GR, Klas B, Satou G, Sklansky M. J Ultrasound Med. 2018 May;37(5):1129-1141. doi: 10.1002/jum.14455. Epub 2017 Oct 25. PMID: 29068072
- Evaluation of the right and left ventricles: An integrated approach measuring the area, length, and width of the chambers in normal fetuses. DeVore GR, Klas B, Satou G, Sklansky M. Prenat Diagn. 2017 Dec;37(12):1203-1212. doi: 10.1002/pd.5166. Epub 2017 Nov 10. PMID: 29023931
- The diagnosis and management of long QT syndrome based on fetal echocardiography. Blais BA, Satou G, Sklansky MS, Madnawat H, Moore JP. HeartRhythm Case Rep. 2017 Jul 18;3(9):407-410. doi: 10.1016/j.hrcr.2017.04.007. eCollection 2017 Sep. No abstract available. PMID: 28948143 Free PMC Article
- Development of quality metrics for ambulatory care in pediatric patients with tetralogy of Fallot. Villafane J, Edwards TC, Diab KA, Satou GM, Saarel E, Lai WW, Serwer GA, Karpawich PP, Cross R, Schiff R, Chowdhury D, Hougen TJ. Congenit Heart Dis. 2017 Dec;12(6):762-767. doi: 10.1111/chd.12523. Epub 2017 Sep 7. Review. PMID: 28880457
- Single-Center Experience Using Selexipag in a Pediatric Population. Gallotti R, Drogalis-Kim DE, Satou G, Alejos J. Pediatr Cardiol. 2017 Oct;38(7):1405-1409. doi: 10.1007/s00246-017-1677-7. Epub 2017 Jul 13. PMID: 28702718
- Abnormal Fetal Findings Associated With a Global Sphericity Index of the 4-Chamber View Below the 5th Centile. DeVore GR, Satou G, Sklansky M. J Ultrasound Med. 2017 Nov;36(11):2309-2318. doi: 10.1002/jum.14261. Epub 2017 May 30. PMID: 28556937
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Southern California Super Doctors 2020
- Best Doctors (Best Doctors in America) 2014 – 2020
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2020
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2019
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2018
- UCLA Health System - Teaching Humanism Award 2011