Dr. Geoffrey Cho is a cardiologist and assistant professor on faculty at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine. He is multiboard-certified in cardiology, cardiac CT, nuclear cardiology, adult echocardiography, and internal medicine. He completed his cardiology fellowship at UCLA and received his internal medicine training and medical degree from UT Southwestern, where he started medical school at age 19.
Dr. Cho's current research focuses on cardiac imaging and artificial intelligence in cardiac computed tomography. He has published in multiple journals, including Circulation, Circulation Research, JACC, Science, Clinical Imaging, BMC Cardiovascular Disorders, BBA, CMI, and PNAS. He has also won several prestigious accolades, including being an American College of Cardiology Young Investigator Award Finalist, Northwestern Cardiovascular Young Investigators Competition Finalist, and American Heart Association Southwest-Affiliate Fellowship Grant Award recipient. He also has been elected as a Fellow of the American Heart Association (FAHA) and American College of Cardiology (FACC) and also an American College of Cardiology (ACC) Young Investigator Award Committee Member.
When Dr. Cho is not working, he enjoys staying fit and working out at the gym, tennis, classical music, violin, piano, watching Japanese variety shows, traveling, and autism advocacy/outreach.
Languages spoken: English, Mandarin, and Japanese
- National Board of Echocardiography, Certification Board of Echocardiography, 2020
- Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, Certification Board of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, 2020
- Nuclear Cardiology, Certification Board of Nuclear Cardiology, 2020
- Cardiovascular Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine, 2020
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine, 2018
Medical Board Certifications
- Cho GW, Ghanem A, Quesada C, Crabtree T, Jennings R, Budoff MJ, Choi AD, Min JK, Karlsberg RP, Earls JP. Quantitative Plaque Analysis with Artificial Intelligence Augmented CCTA in End-Stage Renal Diease and Complex CAD. Clinical Imaging. 2022; 89:155-161).
- Cho GW, Shone A, Gang E, Elad Y, Duncan R, Budoff M, Karlsberg R. Performance and Integration of Smartphone Wireless ECG Monitoring into the Enterprise Electronic Health Record: First Clinical Experience. Clinical Medicine Insights. 2022; CRV 15:1-5
- Xie M, Cho GW, Kong Y, Li DL, Altamirano F, Luo X, Morales C, Jiang N, Schiattarella G, May H, Medina J, Shelton J, Ferdous A, Gillette TG, Hill JA. Activation of Autophagic Flux Blunts Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury. Circulation Research. 2021; 129: 435-450
- Bowman HC, Cole KY, Do DH, Cho GW. Arrhythmias and ECG alterations in a Neuromuscular Disease Patient. Proceedings of UCLA Health. 2020; V24:12.
- Beigneux AP, Allen CM, Cho GW, Sandoval NP, Heizera PJ, Ploug M, Birraned G, Meiyappane M, Havelf PJ, Bensadoung A, Murakami M, Miyashita K, Nakajima K, Fong LG, Young SG. Lipoprotein Lipase is Active as a Monomer. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences PNAS. 2019;116(13)6319-6328
- Morales CR, Li D, Cho GW, May H, Kryrychenko V, Kim J, Rotter D, Schneider J, Lavandero S, Gillette TG, Hill JA. Inhibition of class I HDACs blunts cardiac hypertrophy via TSC2-dependent mTOR repression. Science Signaling. 2016;9(422)
- Cho GW, Altamirano F, Hill JA. Chronic Heart Failure: Ca(2+), catabolism, and catastrophic cell death. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) – Molecular Basis of Disease. 2016;1862(4):763-77
- Xie M, Kong Y, Tan W, Cho GW, May H, Battiprolu PK, Pedrozo Z, Wang Z, Morales C, Luo X, Jiang N, Jessen ME, Warner JJ, Lavandero S, Gillette TG, Turer AT, Hill JA. HDAC Inhibition Blunts Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury by Inducing Cardiomyocyte Autophagy. Circulation. 2014;129: 1088-1091
- American College of Cardiology (ACC) Young Investigator Award Committee Member
- Fellow of the American Heart Association.
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
- Northstar Cultural Award Nominee
- Research Innovator Award. UCLA STAR (Specialty Training Advanced Research) Symposium.
- American College of Cardiology (ACC) Young Investigator Award. Finalist - 3rd Place.
- Presentation Award 2nd place. UCLA Department of Medicine Research Day.
- 1st Place Presentation Winner. Clinical Division. UCLA Cardiovascular Research Symposium.
- Tibor Fabian Research Grant Award. Tibor Fabian Fund Committee.
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Institutional Research Training Grant (T32)
- 11th Annual Northwestern Cardiovascular Young Investigators Competition - Northwestern Finalist 3rd place award.
- American Heart Association Fellowship Grant Award. *Highest Scoring Fellowship Grant in Southwest-Affiliate Group.
- UT Southwestern Cardiovascular Symposium. Best Presentation Award - 1st place.