SriniVas R. Sadda, MD
SriniVas R. Sadda, MD, is the President and Chief Scientific Officer of the Doheny Eye Institute, the Stephen J. Ryan – Arnold and Mabel Beckman Endowed Chair, and Professor of Ophthalmology at the University of California – Los Angeles (UCLA) Geffen School of Medicine. He received his MD from Johns Hopkins University, where he also completed ophthalmology residency and neuro-ophthalmology and medical retina fellowships (Wilmer Eye Institute).
Dr Sadda’s major research interests include automated retinal image analysis, retinal substructure assessment, and advanced retinal imaging technologies. He has more than 380 peer-reviewed publications and 13 book chapters, and has given over 350 presentations worldwide. Dr. Sadda also serves as an editorial board member of Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging, Retina, Graefe’s, Ophthalmology Retina, and Ophthalmology. He is also an editor of the 5th edition of the Ryan’s Retina textbook. Among Dr. Sadda’s awards and honors are a Research to Prevent Blindness Physician-Scientist Award, a Senior Honor Award from the American Society of Retina Specialists, an Achievement Award and a Secretariat Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology, John H. Zumberge Research and Innovation Award, the Macula Society Young Investigator Award, Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO) Achievement Award, The Macula Society Paul Henkind Lecture and Award, and American Society of Retina Specialists Young Investigator Award. He has also received the Silver Fellow designation from the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology. He has been named to the Best Doctors of America list for several consecutive years.
Medical Board Certification
- Tepelus TC, Hariri AH, Balasubramanian S, Sadda SR. Reproducibility of Macular Thickness Measurements in Eyes Affected by Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration from Two Different SD-OCT Instruments. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2018 Jun 1;49(6):410-415. doi: 10.3928/23258160-20180601-05.
- Strauss RW, Kong X, Bittencourt MG, Ho A, Jha A, Schönbach EM, Ahmed MI, Muñoz B, Ervin AM, Michaelides M, Birch DG, Sahel JA, Sunness JS, Zrenner E, Bagheri S, Ip M, Sadda S, West S, Scholl HPN; for the SMART Study Group. Scotopic Microperimetric Assessment of Rod Function in Stargardt Disease (SMART) Study: Design and Baseline Characteristics (Report No. 1). Ophthalmic Res. 2018 Jun 25:1-8. doi: 10.1159/000488711. [Epub ahead of print]
- Wang K, Ghasemi Falavarjani K, Nittala MG, Sagong M, Wykoff CC, van Hemert J, Ip M, Sadda SR. Ultra-Wide-Field Fluorescein Angiography-Guided Normalization of Ischemic Index Calculation in Eyes with Retinal Vein Occlusion. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2018 Jul 2;59(8):3278-3285. doi: 10.1167/iovs.18-23796.
- Borrelli E, Lonngi M, Balasubramanian S, Tepelus TC, Baghdasaryan E, Pineles SL, Velez FG, Sarraf D, Sadda SR, Tsui I. Increased choriocapillaris vessel density in amblyopic children: a case-control study. J AAPOS. 2018 Jul 12. pii: S1091-8531(18)30118-6. doi: 10.1016/j.jaapos.2018.04.005. [Epub ahead of print]
- Nittala MG, Velaga SB, Hu Z, Sadda SR. Relationship Between Dry Retinal Volume and Visual Acuity in Diabetic Macular Edema. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2018 Jul 1;49(7):510-515. doi: 10.3928/23258160-20180628-07.
- Nassisi M, Fan W, Shi Y, Lei J, Borrelli E, Ip M, Sadda SR. Quantity of Intraretinal Hyperreflective Foci in Patients with Intermediate Age-Related Macular Degeneration Correlates With 1-Year Progression. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2018 Jul 2;59(8):3431-3439. doi: 10.1167/iovs.18-24143.
- Garrity ST, Sarraf D, Freund KB, Sadda SR. Multimodal Imaging of Nonneovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2018 Mar 20;59(4):AMD48-AMD64. doi: 10.1167/iovs.18-24158.
- Borrelli E, Sarraf D, Freund KB, Sadda SR. OCT angiography and evaluation of the choroid and choroidal vascular disorders. Prog Retin Eye Res. 2018 Jul 27. pii: S1350-9462(18)30022-3. doi: 10.1016/j.preteyeres.2018.07.002. [Epub ahead of print]
- Keenan TD, Agrón E, Domalpally A, Clemons TE, van Asten F, Wong WT, Danis RG, Sadda S, Rosenfeld PJ, Klein ML, Ratnapriya R, Swaroop A, Ferris FL 3rd, Chew EY; AREDS2 Research Group. Progression of Geographic Atrophy in Age-related Macular Degeneration: AREDS2 Report Number 16. Ophthalmology. 2018 Jul 27. pii: S0161-6420(18)30875-3. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2018.05.028. [Epub ahead of print]
- Balasubramanian S, Beckmann J, Mehta H, Sadda SR, Chanwimol K, Nassisi M, Tsui I, Marlow N, Jain S. Relationship between retinal thickness profiles and visual outcomes in young adults born extremely preterm: The [email protected] Study. Ophthalmology. 2018 Aug 6. pii: S0161-6420(18)31543-4. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2018.07.030. [Epub ahead of print]
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Best Doctors in America, 2017 – 2018
- ASRS Presidents’ Young Investigator Award recipient, August 2017
- The Macula Society Paul Henkind Lecture and Award Recipient, June 2017
- Asia-Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (APAO) Achievement Award 2017