Additional Education Information
MSc Geriatric medicine, Keele University, the United Kingdom
Dr. Aung graduated from the Institute of medicine (1) Burma, in 1998 and later trained in Internal medicine and Geriatric medicine in Liverpool, United Kingdom. There she specialized in Orthogeriatrics for years with strong interest in Osteoporosis, while receiving Master of Science in Geriatric medicine from Keele University School of Medicine, MRCP and FRCP titles from the Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh; and subsequently worked as a consultant physician at the Nottingham University Hospitals. After 13 years of patient care, teaching, clinical research and service development activities in the United Kingdom, she perused her career path in the United States. She completed residency training in Internal medicine at St May medical center, Long Beach, California and Rheumatology fellowship at UCLA. Dr. Aung is interested in the wide range of the rheumatic diseases including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, pseudo-gout, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, reactive arthritis, lupus, osteoporosis and various autoimmune diseases.
Medical Board Certifications
- Crystal Arthropathy
- Aung T, Myung G, Fitzgerald JD. Treatment approaches and adherence to urate-lowering therapy for patients with gout. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2017 Apr 19;11:795-800. doi: 10.2147/PPA.S97927
- T Aung, G Miller, G Karpouzas. Anti beta 2 glycoprotein IG A antibodies independently and differentially contribute to thrombotic risk in systemic lupus erythematosus above and beyond anti-cardiolipin and lupus anticoagulant, from a contemporary multiethnic patient cohort. Ann Rheum Dis 2016; 75:316-317 doi:10.1136/annrheumdis-2016-eular.1412.
- Monica Zell1, Ann Rosenthal, Thanda Aung, Marian Kaldas and John Fitzgerald. Calcium Pyrophosphate Crystal Size, Shape and Appearance Variability. ABSTRACT NUMBER: 2086. 2017 ACR/ARHP Annual Meeting September 2017
- D Aw, J Thain, T Aung, Masud T. Predicting fracture risk in osteoporosis: the use of fracture prediction tools in an osteoporosis clinic population. Postgrad Med J. 2016 May; 92(1087):267-70. doi: 10.1136/postgradmedj-2015-133454. Epub 2016 Jan 20.
- T. Aung, L. Sahakian, B. Skaggs, J. Grossman, M. McMahon. Fatigue is associated with HS-CRP in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. EULAR, June 2017.
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Member of Royal College of Physicians, United Kingdom
- Fellow of Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh, Scotland