Udayakumar P. Devaskar, MD
Dr. Udayakumar Devaskar earned his Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree from the Faculty of the Science University of Baroda in India. Dr. Devaskar completed his pediatric residency at Mount Carmel Mercy Hospital in Detroit, Michigan, and his neonatology fellowship at LAC-USC Medical Center and Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Prior to joining UCLA, Dr. Devaskar served as a Professor of Pediatrics, Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology & Developmental Biology at the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Devaskar joined UCLA in 1999 and served as the Division Chief of Neonatology and Developmental Biology for eight years. Dr. Devaskar currently serves as the NICU Medical Director at Centinela Hospital, which is one of our affiliate hospitals.
Dr. Devaskar's research interests are centered around the use of pasteurized donor milk in human newborn babies, premature and full-term alike. His research revolves around a human milk pasteurizer machine and the treatment and quality of banked human milk. Other research interests include outcomes of babies receiving artificial surfactant and iNO therapy, the role of retinoic acid and thyroid hormones in fetal/neonatal lung growth and maturation, and the effect of nutrition during infancy on the development of diabetes type 1 during childhood. Dr. Devaskar provides inpatient service at the Newborn Nursery in Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
Medical Board Certifications
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center
UCLA Mattel Children's Hospital
- Devaskar S, Devaskar U, Schroeder R, deMello D, Froedereck F Jr., Muckler M: Expression of genes involved in placental glucose transport and uptake innon-obese diabetic mouse pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1994; 171:722-728.
- Devaskar U, deMello D, Heyman S, Sosenko I, Govindrajan R: Maternal thyrotropin releasing hormone (TRH) treatment accelerates fetal mouse ultrastructural lung maturation. Biol of Neonate 1996; 70; 101-107.
- Ansari M, deMello D and Devaskar U: Thyrotropin releasing hormone accelerates fetal mouse lung maturation via stimulation of extra thyroidal pathway. Pediatr Res 1997; 42:709.
- Hanley K, Devaskar UP, Hicks SJ, Jiang Y, Crumrine D, Elias P, Williams ML, and Feingold K: Hypothyroidism delays fetal stratum corneum development in mice. Pediatr Res 1997; 42:610-614.
- Khan YJ, Rajakumar RA, Devaskar UP, Devaskar SU: Developmental regulation of genes mediating murine brain glucose uptake. Am J Physiol 1999, 45:892-900.
- Khan YJ, Rajakumar RA, Devaskar UP, Devaskar SU: Effect of primary congenital hypothyroidism upon genes mediating brain glucose uptake. Pediatr Res 1999, 45: 718-25.
- Ansari MA, deMello D, Hicks SJ, and Devaskar UP: Effect of prenatal glucocorticoid on fetal lung ultrastructural maturation in hyt/hyt mice with primary hypothyroidism. Biol. of the Neonate 2000, 77: 29-36.
- Sadiq FH, Mantych,G, Benaware, RS, Devaskar, UP and Hocker, JR: Inhaled NO in the treatment of moderate PPHN of the newborn: A randomized controlled multicenter trial. J of Perinatology 2003; 23:98-103
- Joshi R, Rajhans, A, Patil, S, Domonic, S and Devaskar U: Inhalational Nitric Oxide in babies with respiratory failure in developing countries like India. Is it doable and ethical? Perinatology, 2008: 10 (2): 37-42
- Phadtare, R, Joshi R, Rajhans, A, Patil S, Dominic S and Devaskar U: High flow nasal canulla in premature neonates with RDS: Is it better than the conventional NCPA? Perinatology, 2009: 11(1):1-8