Open Actively Recruiting
AnalgeSiC and appEtite-stimulating Effects of caNnabigerol and THC (ASCENT)
This study will assess the analgesic, appetite-stimulating, and subjective effects of cannabigerol (CBG) alone and in combination with THC.
- Male or non-pregnant and non-lactating females aged 21-55 years
- Report occasional use of cannabis (cannabis use between ≥ biweekly and ≤ 3 days per week) over the month prior to screening
- Not currently seeking treatment for their cannabis use
- Have a Body Mass Index from 18.5 - 34kg/m2.
- Able to perform all study procedures
- Must be using a contraceptive (hormonal or barrier methods)
- Females must not be lactating
- Meeting DSM-V criteria for moderate-severe Cannabis Use disorder (CUD) or any substance use disorder other than nicotine, caffeine, or mild CUD
- Any other Axis I disorder
- Current use of any medications within 14 days or 5 half-lives of administration (whichever is longer) except for hormonal contraceptives in females. If a medication is taken once a participant is enrolled, sessions will be suspended for 14 days or 5 half-lives after administration (whichever is longer)
- If medical history, physical and psychiatric examination, or laboratory tests performed during the screening process are not within the normal range and / or reveal any significant illness (e.g., hypertension) as judged by the study physician and to put the participant at greater risk of experiencing adverse events due to completion of study procedures.
- Current pain
- Pregnancy is exclusionary due to the possible effects of the study medication on fetal development.
- History of an allergic reaction or adverse reaction to cannabis is exclusionary.
- History of respiratory illness or current respiratory illness
- Currently enrolled in another research protocol
- Not using a contraceptive method (hormonal or barrier methods)
- Insensitivity to the cold water stimulus of the Cold Pressor Test
- Any disorders that might make cannabis administration hazardous are exclusionary, as determined by the evaluating physician
Join this Trial
Contact our clinical trial navigators for opportunities that may be suitable for you
- UCLA Westwood
For detailed technical eligibility, visit ClinicalTrials.gov.