COVID-19 Visitor Guidelines
Dear patients and families,
Thank you for choosing UCLA Health for your health care needs. Our commitment to keeping our patients, staff and visitors safe is our top priority. We ask that you please read this important update that requires a COVID-19 vaccination verification or proof of a negative COVID-19 test prior to visiting a patient in the hospital.
Important visitor information
In alignment with the most recent health order from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), COVID-19 vaccination verification is now required for visitors to UCLA Health and other general acute health care facilities in the state, starting on Wednesday, August 11.
Starting Wednesday, August 11 at 11 am, UCLA Health will be conducting vaccine verification for visitors who are visiting patients in our hospitals. This includes Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center and Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital. As a reminder, masking is still required in all health care settings.
Please see the obstetric, pediatric and NICU visitor guidelines here.
If you will be an inpatient at one of our hospitals and plan to have a visitor
For fully vaccinated visitors:
- To visit a patient at any of the UCLA Health hospitals above, the visitor needs to bring their COVID-19 vaccine verification with them, using one of the state-approved modes listed on our visitor guidelines page.
For unvaccinated or partially vaccinated visitors:
- If the visitor is unvaccinated or partially vaccinated, they will need to have proof of a negative COVID-19 test where the specimen collection occurred within 72 hours before visiting our facility.
- Per state requirement, the COVID-19 test must either have emergency use authorization by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration or be operating per the Laboratory Developed Test requirements by the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- Visitors can schedule a COVID-19 test at UCLA Health if desired. Click on this link and select “testing” for more information. Visitors may choose an alternate provider for testing, such as a retail pharmacy, if this is more convenient. Visitors must bring documentation of the negative result with them prior to entering our facility.
- We ask that you encourage your visitors to arrive early and allow extra time to complete the verification process.
- At this time, we are still limiting the number of visitors to one healthy visitor at a time per our visitor guidelines. We appreciate your understanding.
- Secure digital vaccine records. If your visitor is a UCLA Health patient, they can access their COVID-19 digital vaccine record within myUCLAhealth under COVID-19 Information or Immunizations.
- COVID-19 vaccine information. We encourage all eligible persons to get the COVID-19 vaccine. They are safe, effective, and widely available at this time. If you haven’t received your vaccine or need to complete your vaccine series, you can check for vaccine appointment availability on the County of Los Angeles Public Health website, vaccinefinder.org, which is endorsed by the CDC, or the state’s MyTurn.ca.gov website.
Thank you for entrusting your care with us. We appreciate your patience and cooperation with these important health and safety measures.
Johnese Spisso, MPA
President, UCLA Health
CEO, UCLA Hospital System
Associate Vice Chancellor, UCLA Health Sciences
Robert A. Cherry, MD, MS
Chief Medical and Quality Officer
Chief Operating Officer
UCLA Hospital System
Karen A. Grimley, PhD, MBA, RN
Chief Nursing Executive